Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KIM BURGERS Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2016, 10:58 AM
    Key amount for a Va. Suit to have the opposing co. just settle.
    WHAT IS THE MAGIC NUMBER TO ASK FOR IN A VIRGINIA LAW SUIT? I figure the place where the law suit is filed is the place where the offense took place. If I ask for damages that just about equal the amount the company I am suing would have to pay for a lawyer to represent them in court they would be likely to settle without having to pay anybody but me. I'm damaged in the amount of $500- is that the magic number?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2016, 11:51 AM
    What is the $500 loss? There is no "magic number" in a tort. However, most lawyers would not take a case with a $500 loss. That is for small claims court where you represent yourself. Do you have substantive data for your loss? You can ask anything you want but be aware that courts are starting to get tougher on frivolous claims, i.e. asking for $2 million with a $500 loss.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Feb 6, 2016, 12:38 PM
    Hello

This actually is a question that we can't answer without knowing what the damages are or what when down , then we could tell you if $500 dollars is maybe too much or too little.

I mean from what I know around 50 states have the limit of up to $10,000 within small claims courts.

So like I said what happened.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 03:04 PM
    ... I'm damaged in the amount of $500 ...
    You're damaged all right: morally. Suing someone for an amount calculated to elicit settlement so as to avoid the cost of a lawyer is just plain wrong.

If you do that, I hope you get the book thrown at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dchdman View Post
    I mean from what I know around 50 states have the limit of up to $10,000 within small claims courts.....
    Incorrect. Small claims limits vary considerably from state to state.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 7, 2016, 02:01 PM
    As your first reply stated there is no "magic number". Many businesses have staff attorneys so the only cost to them is court costs. Many companies will stand fast against frivolous claims even if it costs them more. Plus, they can counter sue for their court costs.

Also as noted, $500 is well within most small claims courts, so you wouldn't get to sue in a civil court. And few lawyers will take such a case anyway.

If you want more help with this, tell us the circumstances, why you think you were wronged and how you were damaged.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2016, 02:04 AM
    Unless you have a valid case, there is no magic number.
    If they think they will win, in small claims there is no attorney. Things in the 1000's even. So they merely have a partner or manager come in and testify.
    Many companies also have an attorney on staff or retainer, to deal with issues.

Businesses that have morals, don't deal, they would rather spend 3000 to win a 500 case at times.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 8, 2016, 04:07 AM
    Forget the magic number to intimidate a settlement. Make sure you have a solid case first. Do you? You still have to convince a judge.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2016, 03:49 AM
    This may not go as easily as you believe it will. Last year, my husband was the subject of a lawsuit in Virginia with an inflated claim that was clearly designed to elicit a settlement from our insurance company. Our insurance company could have settled this pretty cheaply, but they chose to make an example of this guy and show what happens when people try to screw them over. Most companies will not hand out money to make you go away, especially if your case is weak or lacks merit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does one respond to a quiet title suit where original owner in suit is deceased [ 7 Answers ]

Original owner named in suit and his heir to the small land lot (low value) are deceased. There have been 3 more owners since.

Opposing religious beliefs. [ 34 Answers ]

I am an atheist and she is catholic. How would you go about resolving issues, such as, where to get married, whether you send your kids to church, etc etc.

Amount of suit [ 4 Answers ]

I am being sued for 2592.00 from my electricaian in TX. I owe him 875.00 and am willing to pay upon the completion of the job, which has not been finished 100%. He is now saying that the work is finished, which it is not, and that I owe him an additional 300.00 for extra work performed that was...

Opposing judgements [ 1 Answers ]

I was involved in a civil case where I the plaintiff received a judgement for $3900 and the defendant received a judgement for $8500. Since the defendant's judgement was for more, do I still have to pay? Where do I pay the judgement to? If I don't pay, will it go on my credit?

View more questions Search