Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Feb 6, 2016, 07:52 AM
    Two Induction Hot Plates vs One Double 15 Amp Breaker
    Had issues with this Breaker a few months back. Breaker was Replaced, all is good.. Curious with 2 separate Wall Recepticles 6' apart.. Two Induction Hot Plates , One plugged Separately into each Receptacle that draw from the same Breaker.. Each IHP draws 1800 watts when turned on Full / Highest Setting.. My Question wouldn't that Pop the Breaker? Of course we don't have the Units turned up more than 1000 watts, majority of the time we only use one Unit anyway... Thoughts Appreciated, Cheers Thanks...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 09:42 AM
    Well yes, both of these used on one 15A circuit will most likely trip quite often, but I think you know that already.

Feb 6, 2016, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Well yes, both of these used on one 15A circuit will most likely trip quite often, but I think you know that already.
    The Kitchen Counter is L-Shaped , the Wife had plugged the 2nd Induction Hot Plate into the Other Wall.. I had told her she could plug both Hot Plates along the same wall as long as they weren't turned up Full / Highest Setting.. And nothing else was plugged in / turned on... lol...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 10:59 AM
    Please explain what you mean by
    "one double 15 amp breaker"

If by double breakers you mean a two breakers that fit into one slot, sometimes referred to as "2-in-1" or "slim line" or Piggy back" breakers those are two separate breakers. Sometimes the handles are tied together. They are often used when you have two circuits sharing a neutral. When running a shared neutral circuit, sometimes the receptacles are split with the top being served by one circuit and the bottom by the other circuit. Other times one circuit will serve some of the receptacles (both top and bottom) and the other circuit serving the remainder of the receptacles.

Unless the appliance has multiple heating elements, when it is ON, it is pulling the full amperage. "Full/Highest" sounds like a temperature setting.

Feb 6, 2016, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post

Please explain what you mean by one double 15 amp breaker.

Unless the appliance has multiple heating elements, when it is ON, it is pulling the full amperage. "Full/Highest" sounds like a temperature setting.

2 Pole BQL 15 amp Breaker..

Yes , Temperature Setting.. The Hot Plate (By Salton) is Touch Screen.. The least being 60C' / 300 watts , the Most being 240C' / 1800 watt's.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 02:28 PM
    Name:  622588004074_ca.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  103.8 KB Is this the breaker you are referring to?

If so, you have two 120 volt /15 amp ports and one 240 volt/15 amp port.

Are these kitchen counter receptacles? Usually there are several counter receptacles connected in series.

Here in the U.S. the kitchen counter receptacles must have two 20 amp GFCI protected branch-circuits for use by counter receptacles. Is that also true for Canada?

Feb 6, 2016, 02:34 PM
    @ donf... The Original Breaker was from Commander which is Non Existent , The cross Reference Replacement was Eaton Brand.. 2 X 15 amp Breakers ( 1/2 as wide) clip on bar tab holding them together

Feb 6, 2016, 03:02 PM
    Name:  BQL215_01__16640_1359116052_1280_1280.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  40.6 KBOkay, let's try this one, please.

This breaker can either be two 120 volt 15 amp circuits or one 240 volt 15 amp circuit.

If this ins not what you have, can you take a picture and using the advanced button attach it to this thread.

Feb 6, 2016, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post

This breaker can either be two 120 volt 15 amp circuits or one 240 volt 15 amp circuit.

If this ins not what you have, can you take a picture and using the advanced button attach it to this thread.

Yep.. This is the One...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post

Don, not sure what you are looking for with this line of questioning, or what it has to do wit the original post. It is very typical in Canada to have kitchen counter receptacles split-wired on 15A circuits.

Feb 6, 2016, 08:26 PM
    Stan,

I was looking for two things.

1) Permissible to have counter receptacles @15 amp instead of 20 amp in Canada.
    2) Permissible to have split receptacles in Canada.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2016, 11:21 PM
    OK... "un" confuse me. When you say both are plugged in using the same breaker... are you saying both are on one side of the breaker (same circuit) or one outlet is on one side of the breaker and one is on the other? This is a MWBC which will trip both sides of the breaker should one leg overload. If you need confirmation of this, shut off the breaker and pull the recpt. covers and see if both are wired to the same "side" of the breaker. Do you know the size of the wire?

Feb 7, 2016, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    OK... "un" confuse me. When you say both are plugged in using the same breaker... are you saying both are on one side of the breaker (same circuit) or one outlet is on one side of the breaker and one is on the other? This is a MWBC which will trip both sides of the breaker should one leg overload. If you need confirmation of this, shut off the breaker and pull the recpt. covers and see if both are wired to the same "side" of the breaker. Do you know the size of the wire?

Sorry for my Original Post becoming Confusing? Was trying to explain to the Mrs. If she had to use the 2nd Induction Hot Plate, she didn't have to plug in on the opposite wall.. There is 2 separate wall receptacles along one wall, one Induction H/P per Receptacle would be fine as long as she didn't crank the dial to it's highest setting (each H/P puts out 465'F / 1800W when turned up full).. 99.9% of the time we never have the Dial more than (300'F / 1000W).. The Wall Recepticles are Connected to a (2 Pole BQL 15 amp Breaker).. Hope this makes Sense?

btw..... Was just Questioning My Theory since I was attempting to explain myself to Managment...lol...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

30 Amp Double Pole Breaker is hot and tripping [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a Maytag Neptune Dryer a week ago. I have it plugged in to our old dryer outlet (which was replaced less than a year ago) which is 3 prong. The dryer voltage is 240 volts and I am running it on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The problem is, this is new electrical wiring and a...

Is 60 amp breaker the same as a double 30 [ 2 Answers ]

Is a 60 amp breaker the same a double pull 30 amp

30 amp double breaker so do I need 10/2 or 10/3 for an air conditioner? [ 2 Answers ]

I plan to run a 12 foot dedicated line to a 240 service box for an AC that is 230/208, install a 30amp double breaker, I assume #10 wire, but 10/2 or 10/3?

Hot water heater on a double 20 amp breaker and is arcing. What causes this [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced a hot water heater which was already wired to a 2 pole 20 amp breaker. Recently the main started tripping, so I replaced the main breaker (100 amp). Now the water heater is buzzing and has some sparks in the back of the breaker. It is a mobile home (1991 redman) and has a white...

View more questions Search