Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rdbird9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2016, 01:06 PM
    Is there a way to hook DVR to TV with cable but no cable boxbox
    I have LG HDTV approx 5 yrs old. I live in apt complex that uses DIRECT TV (Senior TV).
    I am told it's analog not digital (how can you tell?)
    We have a cable but NO cable box. Is there a way to hook up either a VCR or DVR (pref DVR) to record and watch with a digital box (cable box).
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2016, 03:11 PM
    Easy way to tell is hook it up directly to your newer digital flat screen TV.

Very few of them (and even then only the older ones) will have analog tuners. And if they don't (I doubt your TV has one)... they won't see it at all if its analog. In which case you need a digital converter box for it to work.

WHat you need to hook it up depends on what kind of VCR or DVR you have.

I've seen some with HDMI connectors.. but far more use component video.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2016, 06:43 PM
    First, all broadcasters were required to switch to digital a few years ago. If you have no settop box then you are probably using your TV's tuner. You would need a recorder that has a digital TV Tuner built in so you can program it to receive the from the Direct TV feed.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2016, 06:46 PM
    I have seen and some have it where the entire building recieves the same thing from a single source. It is broadcast the same as if recieved over the airwaves. The cable you refer to is just another delivery method (75 ohm) rather then split wire like the old old days.

Just hook it to your tv and you should get whatever they are giving out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vizio Smart TV Hook-up with Cable DVR and Surround Sound System Issue [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm having trouble figuring this out and would appreciate any help you can offer. My current setup is, I have a Vizio M220NV HDTV, along with a Comcast Motorola DVR DCH3416, and a low-end Philips DVD player HTS3011 with surround sound system all hooked together. I'm running a HDMI cable...

Hook up LCD TV to Cable DVR box [ 3 Answers ]

How do I hook up the cable dvr box to my new lcd TV using the red blu green cables.

Kooking up a dvr and cable box [ 2 Answers ]

I have just gotten a DVR from Time Warner and they have no instructions on hooking it up. I am hookingmy cable box, dvr, and TV up and have no clue as to where to start.

View more questions Search