Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geeg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2016, 05:09 PM
    We have power, lights won't come one, working fine before we replaced switch
    Wanted to replace a switch with a dimmer. Took off the old, put on new, lights will not come one. Checked with voltage meter, we have power. Decided it may be a fault with new dimmer, put old one back on, no lights, again we have power, lights were on before we started the process. Bought another new switch, again, lights won't come on. All outlets working. Light in shower area working, all on same breaker, only the lights over the sinks, grrrr. Thought we would surprise our daughter with update, this is not the surprise we want her to find.

The lights are 8 lights across top of mirror if that means anything
    Kenadale Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2016, 06:24 PM
    Have there been any modifications made to the electrical circuit since it was originally installed? Are any of the receptacles near the sink or in the room ground fault circuit interrupt (GFCI) type and have they been connected into the light circuit? Light fixtures and receptacles are not typically connected on the same circuit breaker. Check and make sure all GFCI receptacles have been reset if they have tripped.

When you removed the original on/off switch, how many wires were connected to the switch- Two conductors and a ground? or just two conductors? Make sure the dimmer has the same wiring configuration.

If all else fails you may need to call an electrician. You don't need to take chances with power and end up burning your house down.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 31, 2016, 12:01 PM
    A switch is a switch, is a switch, is a switch. The only difference with a variable switch is that it regulates the voltage to the switch by way of resistance.

What is unknown is how the switch is connected into the circuit. If the switch is connected via a switch loop, then you should have found a white/black cable going to the switch. This method uses White to feed the switch (I usually feed on the bottom) and Black to return the voltage to the light.

The other way is to bring power to the switch. This can be identified by the White (Neutral) just by-passing the switch and Black on both terminations of the switch.

Depending on which electrical code was in-place at the time the original switch you may have Red, Black, White cable going to the switch. If that is true, look at the connection to the light fixture. If Red is connected to the feed of the light, then yiu will find Black feeding the switch, Red returning from the switch and Neutral either capped off or connected to the Neutral port on the switch if ot is required by the switch.

So, please tell us what is the wiring configuration of the switch.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 31, 2016, 12:37 PM
    I assume that this is a switch for lighting over vanity of a bathroom.

Describe wiring in the switch box.

You said,

Checked with voltage meter,
    Was that a multimeter or voltage sensor.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2016, 05:54 AM
    Here's a couple of scenarios:
    Assuming you removed and replaced just 2 wires, when pulling on the switch (old) to remove it you separated an already loose connection.
    A wire nut in the back of the box, a connection to another switch in the box etc.
    Turn off the power to the circuit. Do you have a circuit tester? A non-contact type is advised for looking for the presence of electricity.
    After making sure the circuit is off, pull the switch again and look around in the box. Look for loose wires, a wire nut that came off or any other evidence of an open circuit. Removing and replacing the switch would not cause the problem you describe but the actions taken to do so may have created another problem.
    99% of most circuit failures are either incorrect wiring or open circuits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced dimmer switch in dining room... Now lights in kitchen won't work? [ 5 Answers ]

As above Replaced the dimmer switch in dining room today with normal switch, now kitchen light won't work. Fuse board has being reset & trip switch for area, everything else in kitchen works, I pulled the wiring to get a better grasp, would I have pulled a wire from the kitchen switch in...

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

What are signs that a gas furnace needs to be replaced even though it is working fine [ 3 Answers ]

I was told that I should probably get a new gas furnace because (I quote from service ticket): "Upon inspecting operations found flame becoming erratic when blower comes on. Used inspection mirror and searched as far as it could reach. I noticed significant rusting and what appeared to be...

Well pump switch working fine new switch not working? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having a serious problem. I had a 20-40 that was working fine, but I wanted more pressure so I got a new 40-60. When I got everything hooked up, I was only generating about 40 psi and it would go no higher. Just to be clear, I did raise the pressure tank to 38 psi before starting the pump. I...

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power and 12-2 to lights [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power wire source and 12-2 to between the 6 lights and then using 12-2 witing to the single pole switch?--need your help please

View more questions Search