Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    williamsbelva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2016, 08:41 PM
    Should somebody who has pnuemonia be in contact with somebody with ALS?
    My Mother in Law was diagnosed with ALS, last summer. Hers has started at the top of her head and is now in her throat.

Our oldest boy was diagnosed with pnuemonia on Tuesday and is on antibiotics.

Should we be bringing him to see her, at this time?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2016, 08:59 PM
    While there is no relation between the two, why expose an already weakened person (ALS) to another possibly harmful disease?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 30, 2016, 12:36 AM
    Because of your sons age, in all probability he has walking pneumonia. Should not be allowed near your mother in law as sneezing or coughing releases bacteria which is contagious.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 30, 2016, 04:09 AM
    Unfortunately I have to say no.

I wouldn't expose someone who has ALS ( amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ) who is already fighting for control over their body due to the progressive neurodegenerative disease that is affecting their nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord etc to someone who has pneumonia.

I mean pneumonia as I understand it is a inflammatory condition of the lungs affecting primarily the microscopic air sacs known as alveoli.

It is generally caused by infections with Viruses or Bacteria , though can also be caused by / less commonly other microorganisms, certain drugs and other conditions such as autoimmune diseases.

Typical signs and symptoms include a cough, chest pain, fever, and difficulty breathing.

Pneumonia has often been called "the old man's friend .
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 30, 2016, 12:42 PM
    Anyone with a contagious disease, even while on antibiotics, should stay home and rest, and stay away from as many people as possible, regardless of THEIR condition!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pnuemonia [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a truck driver I got sick and picked a dr out of the phone book on the road.he said I had a touch of bacterial pneumonia and gave me antibiotics... its been almost two weeks and I'm done with the prescription... when is it safe for me to go back to work without the worry of relaps... I have no...

Pnuemonia in unborn babies [ 10 Answers ]

Can unborn babies contract pnuemonia and if so how?

My 12 year old had pnuemonia 2 months ago [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 year old had pnuemonia 2 months ago went through 2 doses of antibiotics completed both, they say his lungs are clear and I realize there will be some soreness, but he is complaining of sever pain in hi right upper anterior chest upon rest and inhaling, he also moans in pain in sleep...

Severe Pnuemonia and Hair Loss [ 2 Answers ]

I recently suffered from sever pnuemonia which lead to me being on life support for two week. This was about three month ago. I have recently noticed my hair if falling out, not in clumps but if I run my fingers through my hair I usually bring out 2 or 3 strands at a time. I am very worried...

Advise on pnuemonia [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently suffered from severe pneumonia, I ended up on life support in intensive care. I am 41 and consider myself to be of good health. The hospital were very surprised at me have pnuemonia and said it was very unusual for someone of my age. I am still very much in the dark as to how I...

View more questions Search