Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimmarc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2016, 12:44 PM
    Chemical Mixture Question
    Hi,
    What would happen if Yttrium, Boron, and Barium were mixed together?
    How would they be mixed together?
    Thank you!

Jan 29, 2016, 02:59 PM
    So I'm an aspiring children's book writer and I'm interested in this question for a story idea I have. I did try and do a bunch
    Of research (which I love to do) but I came up flat. Hence, my question. :)
    Oh and any info you give, if I ever publish the book, I will put you in my dedication!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2016, 09:18 PM
    As a dry powder? Nothing as they are similar metallic elements. Mixing Fluorine and Barium would be a different story. You need to understand reaction potentials of the elements. If I use battery electrodes to separate O2 and H2 from water and then mix them back together, nothing will happen. However, with a spark or match, BANG-I have water again.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2016, 08:50 AM
    Barium, Boron, Yttrium (Ba B Y) Interesting metals to choose, may I ask why?

As it happens, this question is somewhat challenging. These elements do not mix well with water. Yttrium can be dissolved in water with a little effort, but barium would probably react with the water in similar conditions to form barium hydroxide. If you were to add copper you could crystallize and get some cool super-conductor material.

Boron does not dissolve readily in most acids, and oxidizes slowly in concentrated nitric acid. It is, however essential in biological activity. It strengthens cell walls and helps with calcium metabolism. Lack of boron in the diet leads to osteoporosis. Magnesium diboride also happens to be a superconductor. Both MgB2 and YBa2Cu3O7 are high temperature superconductors. They're still pretty cold at those high temperatures but warmer than most, i.e.. 20K vs 120K. YBa2Cu3O7 is said to have high speed transistor potential.

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure they do react pretty well with the halogens. The halogens tend to bind with most elements though. They are highly reactive, especially towards metals.

Finding a suitable solvent could be difficult, they are worlds apart when it comes to dissolving; they have entirely different industrial uses. Their ores were discovered in different parts of the world, as well as having different discoverers. They are typically mined in different parts of the world as their mineral forms are vastly different. All are relatively rare, boron being the most common.

I hope this gives you some insight into your Ba B Y book... ;)

Jan 31, 2016, 11:42 AM
    Thank you InfoJunkie4Life. So I chose those because I want to write a children's book and I was thinking about baby formula and then I wondered what Baby would be on the periodic table and so Ba B Y formula. That's as far as I got so I wondered what would happen if you mixed them together. Just a lot of wondering but thank you so much! I really appreciate it. Now to flesh out my idea cause Ba B Y formula needs some flesh. :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 1, 2016, 06:57 AM
    Your "BA B Y" formula would be highly toxic. Maybe you should think about writing a murder mystery rather than a childrens' book!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2016, 03:54 PM
    Ba B Y = Re S Po N Si Bi Li Ti Es

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another mixture question [ 3 Answers ]

Is it safe to use rubbing alcohol on a surface previously cleaned with hydrogen peroxide? The peroxide was used to clean mold on tile/grout on a floor (like a month ago). There was something gross on the floor this morning and I wiped it up with rubbing alcohol (it was stone so I didn't want to...

Ask chemical question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi how many BTU are required to boil off .166 lb of propane under the following conditions? The aerosol can is in a vessel under 7psia vacuum and punctured. The vacuum is maintained constant. The can contains .166lb. Of liquid propane mixed with .5lb of paint. The start temp of the paint is 65f...

Question chemical engineering ask [ 0 Answers ]

There is flow of gases mixture in a pipe .there is certain 65 deg temp and 150 kpa pressure in line . And content are nitrogen ,oxygen and water then how we can calculate water content in stream any correlation is there?

Chemical mixture [ 1 Answers ]

What happens when water and bleach are mixed together?

View more questions Search