Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derhoades Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2016, 09:11 AM
    Optimum Thermostat Settings
    Our all electric home has registers in each room. Is it more economical to lower the temp setting in the rooms we use from 70 to 55 at night and turn them back up when we use them again or just leave the temp setting alone at 75 all the time?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2016, 10:43 AM
    Where are you? 55 is too cold for me at night, and 70 ain't enough during the day. 45 during the day and 30ish at night here. 77 thermostat setting, bill is $210-$250.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2016, 01:22 PM
    75 is pretty high if you are in a colder climate and the heater runs all the time. We have our thermostat set at 70 during the day and 63 at night. With a programmable thermostat, you can have the heat come up 1/2 hr. before you get up. 3,500 sq. ft. house, 2 zones, Atlanta area, $175 last bill,we also cook and heat the hot water with gas.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 27, 2016, 05:02 PM
    I just read a site claiming that a big range isn't a big savings, while a medium range is more worth it. I'd say a range of 5 degrees. Rooms aren't insulated in inner walls, so heat just leaks in or out anyway.
    I don't sleep well and get up a lot, so this is the first year I'm keeping my heat at 67 all the time. It's working out fine, according to usage so far.
    Summer sun is a huge energy saver. Open curtains, and be sure to take out screens in winter! Close doors to north side rooms and take advantage of south rooms on sunny days. It can be 20 out and my heat doesn't come on at all from 9 to 3.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 28, 2016, 07:22 AM
    I think there are two different questions here:

1. Is it best to keep heat turned low in unused rooms?
    2. Is it best to turn down the heat in all rooms when away, and turn heat up when at home? In other words - does the extra energy required to reheat the rooms from, say, 60 to 70 more economical than keeping the house at 70 all the time?

The answer to 1 is yes - if you have multi-zone heat and can shut off rooms that aren't use that is certainly more economical that heating the entire house. However, it's best if you can shut off airflow into those rooms - for example by shutting doors - so that the heat from occupied rooms doesn't go to heating the unoccupied rooms. This is especially true if you have a multi-story home and the unoccupied rooms are upstairs (heat rises).

The answer to 2 is a definite yes. It's easy to show that the energy required to reheat the rooms when you get home is less than the energy that would have been required to keep those rooms up to temp while you were away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

And thermostat settings [ 0 Answers ]

I have a ducane heat pump model numberhp10b30pa. The programmable thermostat settings are as follows: cycle rate currently set at 9. Electric furnace 4 auto change. 1st stage dif 2. 2nd stage dif 2. On energized "cool". If stage 1 runs 00 min turn on stage 2. Are the settings correct?

Thermostat settings [ 1 Answers ]

How shoud l I set the thermostats in a two story home?

Optimum setting for programmable thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

House: built in 1912, central Ohio. 2 story, 2000 sq ft. w/ newer insulated windows but minimal to no insulation in walls. Furnace: 90+ nat. gas forced air, 3 years old, correctly sized. Our "comfortable" temp is 69 degrees. How much should this be lowered during day (at work) or night...

Settings on A/c thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

We have a White Rogers Thermostat and today it must be 400 degrees out. In trying to set the darn thermostat to cool the house down, we noticed there is an "L" on it. The book for the thermostat says that means it means "limited range" but darn if we can find anywhere in the book what exactly...

Optimum settings for dual zone heating and air conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5000 sqft home with dual natural gas furnaces and AC Units. The main unit covers the basement and main level of the home. And the second unit is installed in the attic above the bedroom level (3rd level). The thermostat for the main unit is in the family room and the thermostat for the...

View more questions Search