Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techtimdavis Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2016, 04:27 PM
    No spark briggs and stratton small engine
    Working on a briggs 14.5 hp engine 287707. No spark condition. Replaced ignition coil and spark plug. I also cleaned the flywheel surface. What else could be causing this to still show no spark?
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Feb 6, 2016, 08:41 AM
    You'll probably find that the small wire to the bottom of the coil is grounded out and killing the spark. It could be pinched somewhere. Behind the starter is a common place. Or, the ignition switch or a safety switch is grounding it. If you are careful you can remove the small black wire on the coil and try to start it. Just know ahead of time that you can''t shut if off with the key after that. If it starts you will have to unplug the wire on the bottom of the carburetor or starve it for gas until it dies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and stratton small engine repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have a briggs and straton engine that starts then stops . I pump gas in it and it runs but only for a few seconds, 5 -10... until the gas I pumped in it runs out. If I continue to pump gas in it it stays running. What could it be? How do I trouble shoot this problem?

16 hp Briggs and Stratton No Spark [ 10 Answers ]

I've disabeled all the safety switches, the engine turns over fine and I've isolated the ignition armateur (unplugged the ground wire from it.) the old one had spark on one lead but not the other so I figured it was bad. It ran sometimes but other times it would not start. Now that I bought a...

Briggs Stratton 14.5 hr no spark [ 0 Answers ]

I started my briggs stralton 14.5 hr 1st time this year and it started up. I drove it 100 yds and shut it off then I fill the gas and it would'nt start back up. The motor turn over fine but there's no spark.

Briggs and stratton vanguard 16 hp twin engine with no spark [ 10 Answers ]

I have a new Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 16hp twin installed in an ATV. Unfortunately on a shakedown run the exhaust pipe loosened and fell on the wireing harness from the ignition key and the engine immediately stopped as the pipe melted through the wire insulation, I assume shorting something...

Briggs and stratton 16 hp no spark [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a question about my tractor. The engine is a B&S 16 hp twin cylinder model 402707. It was running great when it began to loose power. I checked the plugs and checked for spark. Very week and intermitent. Also one side better than the other. I bought and installed a new coil and spark...

View more questions Search