Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vks64 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2016, 07:41 AM
    How to calculate the angle between two lines formed by connecting any set of numbers?
    How to calculate the angle between two lines formed by connecting any set of numbers, For Example Line1 formed by connecting numbers 125, 132 and Line 2 formed by connecting numbers 110, 112 in a horizontal plane?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2016, 02:24 PM
    Am I to assume Line 1 is on a vertical plane? You need crossing lines to get the angle. Look up Sine and cosine rules in your text book.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 25, 2016, 06:49 AM
    We need more information, because from what you have written we can't understand what you are talking about. Typically points on a Cartesian plane are identified by two coordinates each (x and y coordinates), and it takes two points to define a line, so we would expect to see a total of four sets of coordinates for this problem. But you only gave us two sets, so you have defined only one line. Please clarify what you mean.
    vks64 Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2016, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    We need more information, because from what you have written we can't understand what you are talking about. Typically points on a Cartesian plane are identified by two coordinates each (x and y coordinates), and it takes two points to define a line, so we would expect to see a total of four sets of coordinates for this problem. But you only gave us two sets, so you have defined only one line. Please clarify what you mean.
    Sir,
    In the above illustration all the numbers lie on the same plane and the given numbers may be taken to represent anyone of axis, (in the given example may please be taken to represent the Y axis, i.e.. Y coordinates); and the value for other axis i.e. for x coordinate may be taken as any constant greater than zero.
    The first two set of numbers connect to form the first line (L1) and the second two set of numbers connect to form the second line(L2). I have presented below two similar lines visualized in my question?
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image002.png[/IMG]
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip line chart file.zip (15.6 KB, 15 views)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 8, 2016, 06:41 AM
    The angle between the lines is dependent on the constant that you select. If the distance between the x-values of these coordinates is C, then the angle that line 1 makes to the horizontal is arctan((132-125)/C), and the angle that line 2 makles to the horizontal is arctan((112-110)/C), and the angle between the two lines is the difference of these two angles.

Another way to do this is to treat the two lines as vectors, calculate the dot product of them using , and then calculate the cosine of the angle between them from:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many odd three digit numbers can be formed from the 0,1,2,3,4 with repetition [ 2 Answers ]

How many odd three digit numbers can be formed from the 0,1,2,3,4 if digits can be repeated but first digit cannot be zero

I am 20 now, skin is extra dry and wrinkled, fine lines and marks are formed.. [ 0 Answers ]

Iam an Indian (south) and now living in Russia ( -40 degree cold).My skin is wrinkled and dry from birth but after coming in Russia my skin became very wrinkled ,itchy, extra dry and its shedding badly.. due to the cold here I have to bath in hot water.. I am using olive oil but ,olive oil and...

Find the numbers of codes which can be formed from digits 1 and 0 if they consists 10 [ 1 Answers ]

Find the numbers of codes which can be formed from digits 1 and 0 if they consists 10 digits.

Given the set of digits{2,3,4,7,8,9} how many three-digit numbers can be formed? [ 5 Answers ]

Given the set of digits{2,3,4,7,8,9} how many three-digit numbers can be formed?

Finding the angle between two lines-trigonometry [ 2 Answers ]

How would I find the angle between two lines using trigonometry?

View more questions Search