Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    writer1hal Posts: 36, Reputation: 5
    In love with life!

Jan 23, 2016, 01:16 AM
    Can a person survive in a closed room which is closed all day but open all night?
    Hello, in the story I am writing, a woman is kept in a room which is completely packed. But to keep things real, there is a thin line under thew door from where the air can pass through. When the night comes, the opens the door. He harasses her whole night and again when the morning comes, he shuts the door and leaves. I want it to be repeated for weeks. But will my character will be able to live even after getting sexually harassed everyday? She will be getting the food. But she is kidnapped so she doesn't eat much.

I want her to be alive.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2016, 01:27 PM
    Yes.

Real people have been subjected to what you describe (concentration camps and prisoner of war camps to name just two) and worse, and lived.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2016, 01:51 PM
    As long as a person has air, food and water, they can survive locked up indefinitely. On the other hand, people can die from isolation and abuse.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2016, 06:32 PM
    Anything can happen in a novel!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2016, 06:37 PM
    That's the beauty of writing fiction, anything can and does happen, no matter how realistic or improbable. I do hope that if you're writing this story in English, you pay more attention to how you write. Full sentences, proper punctuation, more description that what you posted here.

The story you're writing, many authors have written it before, so you'll need to make it unique somehow. If I had a dime for every book I've read about a woman kidnapped, sexually abused, and kept for weeks on end, I'd be a very rich woman. So you have to have something that makes your story stand out against all the others.

Good luck. :)
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 24, 2016, 04:01 AM
    Like the other have said anything can happen in a Novel.A person needs air ( Oxygen ) Food and water to survive, though there are things that can kill while being subjected to this type of treatment.

Disease and infections are the biggest thing to kill a person under this type of treatment.

I hope this helped.

Jan 24, 2016, 06:18 AM
    Sure anything can happen, but I applaud the OP for checking for accuracy. Even in scifi novels if the science if off the wall it makes the story laughable.
    In love with life!

Jan 25, 2016, 07:28 PM
    Yes, definitely! Anything can happen in the novel. You all have cleared this query. But as a writer I do want to make sure if my story is standing out. For me it is. But I suppose it is not enough. And I am planning to share it with my friends. Thank you for all your wishes. My first experience with AMHD is very encouraging. I dream of my book in your hand with appreciations. ;) :)

Regards,
    Haley (Writer)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 25, 2016, 08:32 PM
    How about a doctor is one of the bad guys? Or the bad guy is a doctor. He (or she?) inserts in the woman's upper abdomen a PICC line through which she can receive nourishment while restrained.
    In love with life!

Jan 25, 2016, 10:46 PM
    Can a pharmacist do this? I am undecided about the profession. Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 25, 2016, 11:00 PM
    No. A pharmacist cannot insert a PICC line. That is a surgical procedure only a trained doctor can do.

Jan 26, 2016, 06:15 AM
    Doesn't necessarily have to be a licensed physician. Could be someone who served as a medic in the armed forces or maybe an EMT, or even someone who didn't finish medical school. Those could account for sufficient training.

But you did indicate that food is being provided so the extremes of providing nourishment don't seem necessary.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2016, 06:15 AM
    For the sake of literary license of course this can be done. I mean if one is willing to kidnap and confine someone, why would they stop at a small thing like being qualified to connect a feeding tube?

There are few boundaries of a diabolical mind that would be off limits. Matter of fact the more twisted and diabolical, the more compelling the story is. Don't you watch "Criminal Minds"? Some of those villains are just SICK!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 26, 2016, 09:42 AM
    She's a prisoner and the OP said she isn't eating much. And are they feeding her steak dinners? probably not. Probably just enough to keep her alive. And force-feeding isn't working any longer. Thus, the PICC line. Which means there has to be a blender or food processor nearby to mush up the food. Which then begs the question of what food is used? Dog or cat food mixed in? And what about her bathroom needs? I just read Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane -- some great ideas about holding people captive!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2016, 06:42 PM
    Again, here's the beauty of fiction. Anything can and does happen. A pharmacist can insert a feeding line, a woman can survive against all hope, the cops or a good Samaritan can and do rescue her just in the nick of time. Aliens can land and teraform the earth, and only a select group of people will survive. The devil can take over the world cause a nuclear holocaust and a young woman that can grow plants in the ungrowable conditions, can be the panacea everyone needs, and can save the world.

It's fiction, which means it's not true, it didn't happen, and anything you can think of to make the story great, is totally okay. There are no limits.

So don't let logic hold you back. Some of the best books I've read had no logic at all. Swan Song, my favorite book, was about the end of the world, a nuclear war, and the devil fighting to gain control of the world. It's a marvelous book, and my favorite because the good guys won. Most of the stuff in that book was completely implausible, but it's a must read, a marvelous piece of fiction. I read it often, it's that good.

It's about writing a store that captivates people, that makes them continue turning the pages, waiting to find out what happens next. Your story has been told a million times over, so in my opinion, don't go with the probable, go with the improbable, go with something that will make your story different from all the rest. Captivate your readers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

To open closed hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello,my head hair pores has been closed,if I use hair steaming regular is it best or not.

Can DHS keep my case open even though I want it closed? [ 10 Answers ]

I had 1 part time job and was not making enough to support myself. I applied and received food stamps and help with my electric and gas bill. After 4 months I was hired full time at a 2nd job (now I have 2 jobs) I called my case worker and told her the great news! I asked her to please close my...

Is it possible to open your growth plates once they are closed? [ 5 Answers ]

How can you open your growth plates?

Where do I go to open closed adoption records? [ 8 Answers ]

I was adopted 31 years ago and I have decided to open my records. I know it was closed. That's about it. I know where I was born and in what hospital. Where do I start? I also know the name of the Dr. that help my adoptive parents but he is deceased. Any suggestions?

Gate Open/Closed Indicator [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gate which can be opened with a remote control at the end of my driveway. I have seen a device which indicates when the gate is open or closed. It was fairly Simple, it was on a swivel. When the gate was closed it forced a "flag" into an up Position. The "flag" was a reflector which...

View more questions Search