Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lightbulb123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2016, 06:12 PM
    Would a Native English Speaker talk like this? Does it sound awkward?
    (Let's say A and B are friends in their late twenties, and A is a pessimist when it comes to dating and relationships.)

A: She only loves you for your money, obviously. If you told her you sold your car and quit your job, she'd be gone in a minute.

B (being sarcastic): Sure, I'll take your word for it. You're a self-proclaimed authority in dating, aren't you? You made me realize that every woman I've ever met or fallen in love with was either a sociopath or a gold digger.

(I got mixed responses the last time I asked native-English speakers if this conversation sounded natural to them. Some said the wording is so archaic and stilted. Others said it's fine the way it is. What are your thoughts? If you were A, and B told you that, would you say "well, I didn't expect a 21st century native English speaker to say that"?)
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 22, 2016, 06:18 PM
    Without the history between the conversation, it does look like a awkward situation to be in if you try to respond to B.

I mean how many times have you told him or has someone told him that the woman he is with is only after his money.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 23, 2016, 01:33 PM
    There is no one way a native english speaker responds or expresses themselves be it in formal or informal writing, or person to person, good friends, or acquaintances. You will get differing opinions depending on the differences of regions and locations of the various styles of native english speakers.

One man's soda is another man's pop. It's complicated. There is no ONE way to talk for english speaking natives. Confusing ain't it? Think of the difference between BRITISH english, and AMERICAN english as an example.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2016, 09:14 PM
    It really depends on who you're asking. It sounds fine to me, and I read a lot of different styles of books, an avid reader. Some I find unnatural in the way they write, but to me, this sounds like a conversation I'd have in the situation they're in. But that doesn't mean everyone will feel the same way.

English has so many different dialects, so many different accents, so many different forms. What do you mean by a native English speaker? They speak English in England, and Australia, Canada and the US, and more. All native English speakers, and all will use very different ways to communicate.
    JodyKay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2016, 12:36 PM
    **You made me realize that every woman I've ever met or fallen in love with was either a sociopath or a gold digger.** This part is a bit "wordy" I'd say. If you can rewrite that part: "According to you every woman I've ever known has been bad for me."

I get the feeling that she is in love with him herself and that is why she puts down the other women in his life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I talk about when it seems awkward? [ 3 Answers ]

The girl that I really, really like has been messaging me on Facebook about 2-3 times everyday for hours for the past couple of weeks. We always talk about what we're doing for a few minutes, but then we just start sending random one word messages, and things seem a bit awkward for me. A couple...

No sound through head set but speaker sound intact on my HP laptop after replacing hd [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace my hard drive on my HP laptop and since then I am not getting any sound through my head set while speaker sound remain intact

Laptop Speaker No Sound [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Compaq laptop and the speakers have worked fine until today. I suddenly have NO sound for anything? Can anyone help Thanks Kaluda:)

View more questions Search