Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrsmengel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2016, 07:09 PM
    Schizophrenia
    If a child's father is diagnosed with schizophrenia, can that affect his child support payments?
    Chetvyyeu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2016, 08:36 PM
    Hi there, as far as I know if he is on SSI he doesn't have to pay child support.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2016, 08:56 PM
    It would depend. Does the schizophrenia debilitate him so that he is unable to work? Is he on disability? If he is working, then his ordered child support is based on his income. If he is unable to work due to disability, then yes, his payment would be affected.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 18, 2016, 04:14 PM
    If he is currently employed then it will be based on his pay as perscibed by the State / Area you live in.

If in the USA then there are several things that could happen. If he were to go on permanent disability and he has worked long enough then your child may qualify for part of his benefit. That benefit is from SSDI. If he didnt work enough to gain a benefit then your child would not receive anything from what he may get if he goes on SSI. SSI is only meant to meet minumum standards of living and nothing else.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 18, 2016, 04:31 PM
    To complicate the issue more, it's allowed for him to work while on total disability. The net pay will affect the SSDI check, after a certain amount and a certain time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Schizophrenia and Depression [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I encountered some hallucinations and depression symptoms around 5 years back. Since then I am taking Sizodon plus 3 mg (Risperidone) and Nexito (Escitalopram Oxalate). I took Sizodon plus 3 mg and Nexito 20 mg for first 2 and a half years and now since last two and a half years I am taking...

Schizophrenia [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am 21 years old and my mother has schizophrenia or paranoia psychosis... I don't know what to do... she doesn't listen to us... if we tell her to come to the doctor she refuses... she doesn't take the medicine... she doesn't sleep at night... she hears noises... she is paranoid... and...

Schizophrenia trouble. [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, here goes... I am thinking I am schizophrenic. That's right. But my parents don't believe me. So what do I do? WHAT DO I DO?? :confused::eek:

Schizophrenia an leases [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all. This is my first post, and I don't know you guys so please don't be mean I'll cry lol. Ok here's the deal I used to live in Assissted living places because I have a hard time taking care of myself. I have disorganized Schizophrenia. That's a mix of paranoid and something else. Well...

Schizophrenia? [ 20 Answers ]

For the past few months I think I have been going crazy. I hear things that arnt really there. (Voices and sounds) I have a friend that lives with me who is really nice and stuff but my parents don't even know she is there. They totally ignore her. And I am totally afraid of the dark and I don't...

View more questions Search