Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nikki Farns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2016, 07:19 AM
    What kind of pipe should I use?
    Old home, 1830 built. Dirt basement. Have to replace cracked leaking pedestal sump pump drainage pipe, just in basement, not outside. The pipe there now is the older smooth, black flexible tubing, no writing or markings on it. OD measures 4". Need it to replace from sump pump across the basement to where it leaves the home, so will need to install check valve, and connect it to same tubing that is there now (to where it goes outside).
    Same tubing is used as the main well water line, connected to leaking shallow well jet pump. Need to replace both in tubing going into jet pump, connecting to same kind of current tubing coming in, and the out tubing from jet pump to water softener. What size (ID), and what kind should I replace this with? Probably going to need to buy about 35'.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2016, 07:42 AM
    Pipes used for pumps is generally 1", although 3/4" is sometimes found running to the house. No real reason not to use the 1".
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2016, 03:39 PM
    If you are asking what type of pipe, I would recommend PVC or flex roll plastic.

Chuck
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 16, 2016, 08:33 PM
    PVC pipe . Pipe should be the same size as the pump discharge opening. Don't forget to install Check Valve

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of coupling would br righy for conecting main line pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a full bath room in basement I need to tie into the ol pipe ad trsition to pvc

Question about what kind of pipe this is [ 5 Answers ]

Hi . I'm trying to locate a drainpipe from top floor and came across this. What kind of pipe is this and what is the piece the pope is going into? Imgur

My kitchen sink is draining out into the garage via some kind of overflow pipe [ 4 Answers ]

My kitchen sink is draining out of some kind of pipe in the garage, I didn't even know it was there until I came home to a mess. My other water areas are not leaking through this pipe. My dishwasher and the kitchen sink are the only places that are draining through this (what I am assuming is a)...

What kind of pipe for gravity feed seasonal water system? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a seasonal cottage with 30 year old 1/2' pipe gravity feed water system. I now have a leak under the kitchen sink. I am wondering if I should use the same black abs (I presume, don't remember from back then) that was previously used.

What kind of pipe is this? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to cut away a section of the 4" vertical stack pipe in my 1917 house to add a 2" PVC line from a new shower. Trouble is that I've never seen this kind of pipe before. Most of the house is cast iron but this 6' or so section of the stack is a dark gray nubby rubberized material. Sounds like...

View more questions Search