Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 04:55 PM
    Guitar for a beginner
    My 13 year old daughter really wants to learn to play the guitar. It's been a dream of hers for a long time.

I've been looking online, kijiji, eBay, places like that, and I've found guitars ranging from $20 to $10,000, and everything in between.

So my question is, what sort of guitar (and please be specific), should we be looking for for a beginner that's learning? The $20 ones are labelled as beginner guitars for kids. Yes, she's a kid, but is this guitar even worth it? Can she actually learn to play the guitar (with a teacher) on this type of guitar? Should we save and invest in something better, and if so, what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 05:10 PM
    Hi Alty

I'd say purchase a $99.00 Yamaha student guitar... definitely no need to spend more than that... available on eBay or at almost any local music store.

I'd also suggest going to www.youtube.com and start getting your teenager to learn to read basic music and basic fingering before the guitar even arrives. In my opinion, this is the best place to start out... less frustrating for them if they know a few basics before the instrument arrives.

Back to you...

Mark
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 05:18 PM
    A story for you...

My child worked with a music instructor on the recorder for almost two years. I was a little frustrated and asked the teacher if we could step it up and get my child playing a "real" instrument. The teacher kind of laughed at me and brought me into his music library. He asked my daughter to come into the room and then told her to pick out any piece of music in the library she had never seen or played. She spent a couple minutes browsing and finally chose a piece of music. I looked at this sheet music and saw it was a very complicated piece that I would have needed to sit down and work through to play it. About 30 seconds later, my daughter started to belt out this very complicated piece and didn't hesitate for a second.

Botom line: The teacher had tricked us a bit. Instead of teaching her an instrument he had taught her to read music. He told me my daughter would be able to play any instrument she wanted after this. She went on to do great things in music.

Make sure your daughter learns to read music... the instrument is there for fun right now, but the reading and the theory of music will be much more important if she can have fun doing it!

Best of luck!
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 05:22 PM
    Thank you so much massplumber.

I play the recorder, the flute, the accordion (don't laugh, it's cool), and can play a lot of songs on many different instruments given the time. I do read music, but I'm better at playing by ear. I won't be a lot of help for either of my kids (Syd my daughter wants to learn the guitar, Jared my son wants to learn the piano), when it comes to reading music.

Right now I just want to get her the best instrument I can afford, so she has the best chance of achieving her goal. :)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 05:34 PM
    $99.00 Yamaha student guitar will be perfect!

$99.00 electric piano for Jared and then go to YouTube and look up LYPUR (I believe). This guy is a bit corny but he is VERY good piano instructor. I set the computer screen right in front of the piano for my little guy and he has had a blast watching this guy!

YouTube for learning music...it's free!!

Good luck!
    Pets Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 05:42 PM
    Have to spread the love, thank you Mark.

I'll look into it.

My little ones aren't that little anymore. Syd is 13, Jared is 17. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What electric guitar would you recommend to a beginner. [ 1 Answers ]

I own a Squire Stratocaster and would like to upgrade to a nicer guitar I would like to spend less then $500. I have my eye on a Standard Stratocaster Hss. What would you recommend?

What electric guitar would you recommend to a beginner. [ 3 Answers ]

I own a Squire Stratocaster and would like to upgrade to a nicer guitar I would like to spend less then $500. I have my eye on a Standard Stratocaster Hss. What would you recommend?

Beginner on the Guitar [ 27 Answers ]

Hi there my loyal subjects! Ironclad needs help? I was thinking about taking up the guitar and trying to learn how to play it! But the problem is, I don't know where to begin?? Any advice for the basics of a beginner?

Beginner classical guitar [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I stay in UK currently. I was planning lately to buy a guitar. I did a little research on this and found I could get a decent one for around 50 £. I just need a beginner guitar, no hi-fi quality ones. I just started learning guitar. I have an acoustic guitar with me already which I left...

Beginner Acoustic Guitar [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a decent starter guitar? I'm looking to spend $100-150 on something. I've never played, but have had an interest in learning for many years. I've noticed several guitars at Guitar Center in my price range, but can't seem to identify from their...

View more questions Search