Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gdsov Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2016, 07:40 AM
    Heavy duty eye bolt wood screw?
    I just renovated my attic. I'd like to hang a single person hammock chair from the slanted ceiling. Since I can't reach the back side of the rafter (or anything behind the drywall for that matter) I have to use an eye bolt wood screw. Here's the catch: I haven't found one that's rated to hold that kind of weight. To further complicate it I attached 2x4 to the rafter face to give the bays greater depth for more insulation. Any fastener would need to go 5" through the 45 degree 2x4, then several inches into the rafter to really bite.
    Does an 8-10" eye bolt wood screw rated for ~175 lbs exist? Is even hanging that kind of weight from the rafter a good idea?

Thanks all.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 13, 2016, 01:37 PM
    Without exmining the structure and how it was put together it is almos impossible to tell you if it can be done of not. Have you considered building an A-frame to support the hammock and to transfer the load to the floor rather then the ceiling ?

Here is a way to check to see if it is safe to proceed as it is your house and you have seen what is underneath any sheetrock.

UMass Amherst: Building and Construction Technology ยป Understanding Loads and Using Span Tables
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2016, 03:35 PM
    Is it possible to hook into the ridge board? You can use chain to set hammock at height you want.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identify screw/bolt please [ 11 Answers ]

I found a picture of the bolts I need on the internet, but cannot find where to get them or the name. Anyone know what they are called and where I could get some ?

Wood screw in a wire [ 4 Answers ]

I hit a wire under the attic floor with a wood screw and it tripped the breaker and I removed the screw and the breaker switched back on fine do I need to pulls the flooring up and check the wire

Kemore Heavy Duty 90 Seriies [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a washer that does not advance cycle to cyle, I have to manually do it myself. I bought it used and I am single and can not afford a new one or a repair man, Is this problem something I can fix on my own. Perhaps a new cycle box? Please someone let me know, I am not afraid to get my...

Kenmore Heavy Duty Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer went out and neighbor gave my a older model Kenmore Heavy Duty dryer and said it worked.When I plugged it up it worked fine but it concerns me because if you look behind it while its on and running there is a red glow.If its off its not there.Ive never seen a dryer do this before is it...

Kenmore Heavy Duty Dryer [ 3 Answers ]

The Heating Element is working, the belt is fine and there is power to my dryer but when you push the start button it does not start. Please help... Thanks.

View more questions Search