How do I apply for a donated car?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 10, 2016, 01:12 PM
    Local Lions or similar.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2016, 02:06 PM
    You don't in most cases. Cars are donated... they are then auctioned off for cash that the charities then use for what they do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 07:07 PM
    I agree, I do not know any case, where a donated car actually goes to a person free. As smoothy said, a car to be actually donated (in the US) has to go to a company who has the license and registered to accept donations. In those cases, they are sold, and the money (minus the fees) are given to the charity. The companies who process these, make a profit, by the fees they charge. Often these are fairly high fees. In some areas, I know two places in Atlanta (when I lived there) that had car sales lots where they sold them like a used car lot instead of auction. I bought one there once.

Now with that said, you may check with the religious group of your choice and see if they may have any connections, also if a veteran check with several of the vet groups.

Most donated cars, 1. are very old, 2. very high milage, 3. often have several mechancial issues. At the auctions most do not even run.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 11, 2016, 05:51 AM
    I live in rural NW CT and there is a charity here that donates cars for free. I know a woman who wasn't even a hardship case who got one, because she was the only applicant who could/was willing to learn stick shift.
    (I never would have known the program existed had she not told me. That's the way it is with many small charities.)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2016, 12:12 PM
    Most charities will require some type of financial records to prove need. However, even with a free car, you need tags and registration, insurance, money for gas, oil changes, repairs, tires etc. As Fr. Chuck noted, "Most donated cars, 1. are very old, 2. very high mileage, 3. often have several mechanical issues".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get a car donated to me? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in need of a vehicle I'm out of work right now I'm a stay at hom mom I need to find a car my 2 yr old daughter has seziures she has dr appointment out of town I'm really in need of one

How do I get a car donated to me? [ 2 Answers ]

I ma single mother of 3 and I am looking to find a really cheap car or one donated to me

How can I get a car donated to me [ 1 Answers ]

I am 56 years old. I have driven for 40 years with no car accidents, until this year. I have a small problem with low blood sugar. I had not eaten. I had a car and it was totaled. I live alone and support myself. Now I can't get a car with collision. I purchased a 1984 s10 truck. It has so...

How to get a donated car? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm a single parent and I'm trying to get a car so I can get me and my child from A to B. The only thing is I have very little cash. What do I do?

View more questions Search