Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akf_ngu Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Jan 10, 2016, 09:58 AM
    Midwifery
    I am playing with the idea of pursuing my passion of childbirth and becoming a midwife. But I would like some more info on it. I can only seem to find information on being a nurse midwife (CNM, LNM, Etc)

I actually want to be a more traditional, licensed midwife. Not nurse.

Can I have more information on this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 12:00 PM
    American College of Nurse-Midwives

Certified Midwives, Home Birth, Prenatal Care and Other Midwife Information

I could be wrong but the vocation may be different but the training is the same(?).

Jan 10, 2016, 01:10 PM
    Maybe. I think the vocation is the same but training is different.
    It's a midwife without a nursing degree. Best way I can explain it is an apprenticeship rather than a college education.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by akf_ngu View Post
    Maybe. I think the vocation is the same but training is different.
    It's a midwife without a nursing degree. Best way I can explain it is an apprenticeship rather than a college education.
    That is going to depend on what part of the world you live in. Obstetrics is the most litigious specialty in medicine, therefore, a proper education is advised. People want a properly educated midwife, not someone who learned the practice with on-the-job experience.

Jan 10, 2016, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    That is going to depend on what part of the world you live in. Obstetrics is the most litigious specialty in medicine, therefore, a proper education is advised. People want a properly educated midwife, not someone who learned the practice with on-the-job experience.

I agree and there are Licensed Midwives all over the country who are properly educated, but not nurses. That is what I am trying to go for.
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 04:28 PM
    What country do you live in? This is a global website.

Jan 10, 2016, 04:52 PM
    United States.

Mostly I am just trying to find information on schools and which schools are the best.

Jan 10, 2016, 05:01 PM
    Never mind. Seems I moved to a state that isn't approved by NARM. So I will probably have to take the Nursing Midwife route.

Thank you anyway!
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 08:46 PM
    As you have found, very few states are now NARM approved. This is primarily due to the litigious nature of this area of medicine. Of the states that are NARM approved, many facilities will not offer privileges to anyone with less than a CNM degree.

I currently work with a girl who lives in a NARM state, but due to legalities, licensure, differences in practice between CPM and CNM, she chose to go with the CNM.

Jan 10, 2016, 08:48 PM
    Thanks J_9. I will start looking into nursing schools, hopefully I may find one that has a midwife program added on instead of having to find 2 different schools :P
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 09:09 PM
    Unfortunately, most CNM schools require a minimum of a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) prior to applying to the CNM school. This means that you will have to go to at least 2 possibly 3 different schools.

Jan 10, 2016, 09:10 PM
    Oh how fun! *sarcasm* Thanks for raining on my parade haha.
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 09:18 PM
    Sorry about that, but that is the reality of the profession. Better to go in with your eyes wide open and with the facts.

Birthing babies isn't just about catching babies falling out of vaginas. There are life and death situations. Women die, babies die, and family sue for millions of dollars. This isn't a profession you decide to go into on a whim, this is a profession born from a passion at a young age.

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, I'm just giving you the facts as I know them from being a labor and delivery RN myself.

Jan 10, 2016, 09:27 PM
    Oh I know. I have wanted to be a midwife ever since I read a book about an Amish midwife when I was about 13. I just never thought I was good enough or smart enough. But I wanted to do it like she did, classically trained through apprenticeship (and certified, as you have to live with the times lol) But if I can't do that I have no problem going to school. Who knows, maybe I am smart enough after all :p
    Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 09:58 PM
    You may very well be smart enough! I used to feel the same way. Never thought I was smart enough. I enrolled at my local community college to take my prerequisites, when they were completed I applied to nursing school and was accepted the first time I applied. I was 39 when I first applied to college. I have been delivering babies for almost 8 years now. While it is mostly a very rewarding profession, at times it is heartbreaking. Losing a baby or losing a mother is all consuming.

Good of luck to you, it can be done if you put your mind to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renewal of nursing and midwifery certificate [ 7 Answers ]

My name is Jossy C. Baby. I want renewal of my certificate. I had already sent my renewal form, nursing certificate and fees on 5th January, 2013. Since one month I am trying through the telephone but no reply have been made yet. I would be very obliged if you would do this as early as possible..

Guilbault Midwifery [ 1 Answers ]

Guilbault Midwifery's cost formula for its wages and salaries is $2,340 per month plus $154 per birth. For the month of June, the company planned for activity of 115 births, but the actual level of activity was 112 births. The actual wages and salaries for the month was $19,530. The wages and...

View more questions Search