Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chochocho Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2016, 02:39 AM
    Phone Line Used by others for txting
    Hi All!
    I know this might sound weird, but twice late last year, I notice that I was seeing people's txt messages on my phone line. They were just one-line text messages on each case. Also, on each case, it seems like one if the texter used my line to send the text to the other party. This situation has made thinking if my phone line has been compromised and therefore insecure.
    I also would to know if there is a legal issue that I have to resolve with my phone line carrier because of this situation. Though currently I haven't alerted my carrier about this weird situation, I would like to know the best way to exercise my rights as a 2 year loyal customer of this phone carrier and resolve this issue
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2016, 03:44 AM
    There can be a signal or electric issue on the phone system, that allowed for a temporary overlap of the phones.

The other of course is someone may have gotten your signal and has stolen your number, in which case there is a security issue

There is no "legal" issue, merely a possible technical one, in which case you can request a new phone number to replace yours, if you feel there is a security threat

Jan 9, 2016, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    There can be a signal or electric issue on the phone system, that allowed for a temporary overlap of the phones.

The other of course is someone may have gotten your signal and has stolen your number, in which case there is a security issue

There is no "legal" issue, merely a possible technical one, in which case you can request a new phone number to replace yours, if you feel there is a security threat
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    I really don't want to change my no, but this case has really put me on edge. Do you think I can request for a compensation for this inconvenience from the carrier?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2016, 08:43 AM
    You have to first notify your carrier of this glitch or whatever and see if they can determine whether it's a glitch or theft. Then you can go from there. If you were charged for an unauthorized service you can certainly get those charges removed.

Jan 9, 2016, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You have to first notify your carrier of this glitch or whatever and see if they can determine whether it's a glitch or theft. Then you can go from there. If you were charged for an unauthorized service you can certainly get those charges removed.
    Ok. I'll see what they say when I notify them.
    Thanks for your input again.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 9, 2016, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chochocho View Post
    Ok. I'll see what they say when I notify them.
    Thanks for your input again.
    But you have to have your monthly use age report that comes with your invoice to show these numbers are not related to your normal use age.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2016, 11:11 AM
    I'm curious what makes you think that these people are originating text messages from your account - what specifically are you seeing? Are you sure it's not simply an issue of someone trying to send a text message to someone else, and mistakenly using your cell phone number for the recipient? I've had that happen to me several times - seems my cell number used to be used by someone else before it was assigned to me, and some of the previous user's friends didn't update their contact list.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2016, 02:20 PM
    Yes, I'm also curious as to why you think the texts were sent FROM you to someone else. I agree that the more likely scenario is that someone entered your number in error.

As for compensation from your carrier, what compensation do you think you might be entitled to? Are you on a plan where you pay per text message? That's the only compensation you might be entitled to.

the only way any laws might have been broken is if someone cloned your phone and used it to make calls or send messages. But 2 messages would be unlikely in that situation. the person who cloned the phone would be more likely to use your account a lot more than 2 times.

Jan 16, 2016, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    I'm curious what makes you think that these people are originating text messages from your account - what specifically are you seeing? Are you sure it's not simply an issue of someone trying to send a text message to someone else, and mistakenly using your cell phone number for the recipient? I've had that happen to me several times - seems my cell number used to be used by someone else before it was assigned to me, and some of the previous user's friends didn't update their contact list.
    I know what you're talking about. And it's obviously not that as that has happened to me couple of time too. In this case, I see text messages between two people on my phone screen. I know it sounds crazy, but that's just that case here
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 16, 2016, 04:20 AM
    Is it possible you are a party to a group text?

Jan 16, 2016, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Yes, I'm also curious as to why you think the texts were sent FROM you to someone else. I agree that the more likely scenario is that someone entered your number in error.

As for compensation from your carrier, what compensation do you think you might be entitled to? Are you on a plan where you pay per text message? That's the only compensation you might be entitled to.

the only way any laws might have been broken is if someone cloned your phone and used it to make calls or send messages. But 2 messages would be unlikely in that situation. the person who cloned the phone would be more likely to use your account a lot more than 2 times.
    To clarify you more, I didn't say that the text messages were sent from me to someone without me actually doing the texting myself. This implies that nope, I don't think that my phone was intentionally cloned by someone.
    What's happening is that I see people one liner text messages on my phone screen. This means that I see two people's texts between each other on my screen when I open to read a text message at a txt message prompter.

I actually think it's technical glitch because this issue has happened twice to me, once in November and the second time this January and in case from different numbers.

As customer who's been with same carrier for two years, I didn't expect this kind of inconveniences because it's put me on edge wondering if my phone is secure.
    The worst situation is that complaining this issue to an agent of the carrier she didn't agree with after making some checkup on my phone record and a supervisor wouldn't agree to talk to me at my request. The agent was nice and professional to me though.
    I still have these messages saved in my phone.

After this experience with the carrier's agent, I'm pondering my next move and I need some advice on it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 16, 2016, 05:24 AM
    It sounds as though your phone number is part of a group text.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2016, 06:57 AM
    Yep, it sounds to me like your phone number was included in a group text. The text was sent to several recipients and the reply was sent using Reply All.

Jan 16, 2016, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It sounds as though your phone number is part of a group text.
    Nope! It is not. One/two of the messages are too personal to be a group text. To be exact, one of the message says, "I'm in class right now..." and the othe person responded in a personal way too.

That doesn't really sound like a group chat.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Yep, it sounds to me like your phone number was included in a group text. The text was sent to several recipients and the reply was sent using Reply All.
    Really not so. The messages are not group texts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I only have a land line phone and no cell phone how can I see when someone is calling [ 3 Answers ]

When I'm on the computer I can't receive my calls because I have dial up for my computer

Land phone repairwhat to do when the phone line from phone needs a new plg [ 2 Answers ]

Why isn't my modular plug working from my phone

Hooking up new phone line to main phone box [ 0 Answers ]

I am hooking up a new phone jack into the "main phone line box" in my basement... need help... I will try to explain as clearly as possible... hope not to confuse everyone. General info that may be useful in answering my question: I currently have cabletelevision phone service modem etc... I...

Changing disconnected phone line to same number as phone line that is active [ 3 Answers ]

If you can help I will vote for you... for any office... state or government! We have two separate phone lines. One for one room and one for another. One of the lines was cut off at our request by the phone company. We want to make the disconnected line active again and work on the same number...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

View more questions Search