Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
    An update, maybe I should start a new thread.

Christmas night we had come home from my younger brother's home (Rosie stayed home just because of all the people that would be there and one very obnoxious cat). Took Rosie out for her bathroom break - the empty lot across the street. There was another dog in that area, with the owner, and I did not see if the dog was leashed or not. Well, the dog was not and came right after Rosie. It was a mix breed, looked part boxer and part great dane, not really sure as it was already dark (except for street lights).

The dog grabbed Rosie by her neck and tore her right ear off and lacerated her throat. She did not have much of a defense, that dog was too darn quick. I had my cell phone and called 911. Also call my Vet and he said to meet him at the clinic ASAP. My oldest son was home so I called him and told him to bring the truck and then to stay with Brandon.

The Vet said if Rosie made it through that night she would most likely make it all together. But the wounds were too deep, actually punctured her larnyx (did I spell that right?). She lived through the night but died yesterday afternoon.

Part of me just wants revenge of the greatest kind but that is not the right way to approach this. I am pressing charges and I do want that other dog destroyed. Cannot see that as extreme. Also want all the Vet bills taken care of. Thinking of a replacement animal and will think on that a bit. The rehab trainer we used for Rosie said he sometimes runs into families that cannot care of their dog and he then assesses the dog as to the possibilities of rehab training. It is a idea for the future.

It is always tough to lose a pet. We try our best to love and protect them, provide a safe and nurturing home. But it never remains in our total control, does it? Just like the rest of life. What sucks is that Brandon keeps looking for Rosie. And how can I explain all that to him? Rosie was his "bud." Of all the other dogs we (my ex and I) had, she was the only one that he accepted.

So I just want to say to this family here, who have given me the benefit of their years of experience and care for dogs, thank you for being here when I had questions and needed your guidance. A big thanks! Love you all.

Dee
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Dee, I am in shock! I am sure you are still in that state as well. I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am about all of this. What a dreadful way for all of this to end. I wish I knew what to say to make this better for Brandon and for you. All I can say is that my heart goes out to you and that you are in my thoughts.

You are right to press charges and to request that dog be destroyed, along with suing for the vet expense. If that dog attacked her without provocation, more than likely that is a dog that has a history of attacks and his owner had no business letting him off a leash. Your lawyer or the prosecutor will need to do some legwork and interview the owner's neighbors and vet to see what they can uncover. The next time, the dog may attack and kill a child. This is not a case of revenge, but one of ensuring the safety of the children, people, and other dogs in the area.

Again, my heart goes out to you my dear. I wish there was more that I can say or do for you.

Xoxoxo
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
    I am not sure I would be is a condition to make such a rational post. Your story of Rosie returning to Brandon is the warmest one I have read on AMHD. All of us so badly wanted it to work, and were so happy it did.
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Ruby, you are a gem among gems. You just responding does a world of good for me. Knowing how bad my temper can get when I get this riled up, I need to keep myself in check. I had never seen this dog before so I do not know anything about it. The police officer was to call me today but I was gone with Brandon most the day with doctor appointments and orthotic fittings. My Vet said that the city may require the other dog to be put down, according to city laws. I know the leash law was violated just for starters.

My oldest son said I should sue the shorts off the dog owner. Maybe I will let him keep his shorts - might an ugly sight otherwise. I did call the attorney that handled the guardianship for me with Brandon and he will take the case, his secretary told me. So it is a start.

Thanks Ruby for the thoughts and xxooxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxox back at you.
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Labman, I really appreciate your warm thoughts. Have spent a lot of time crying my eyes out and trying to figure it out but that is impossible. Pets become our family.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Shy, I am so very sorry for your loss. My heart is broken for your son.
    I agree a dog like that is dangerous and I would want it put down as well. I am sure that would be best for your entire community. It is sad that the owner was not responsible with his dog. I hope this serves a lesson to people that having dogs with behavior problems that it is not something to be taken lightly. I agree with Ruby that there were probably numerous warning signs or problems prior to this night.
    I am sure that you must be devastated, having to witness such a horrible thing. It makes me cry just reading it. You and your family will be in my thoughts.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 05:36 AM
    Thank you bushg. A new day and perhaps some answers. I agree with you and Ruby about the other dog - for a dog to jump that quick tells me that this dog has either been in a fight before or has been wrongly trained. Maybe both. The dog is in custody. I just feel overwhelmed yet.
    twinkel-star Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    My youngest son has profound disabilites - both mental and physical and it has been suggested, by his IEP team, that he acquire a pet - in hopes that the pet would help calm him. I don't have anything against having a pet, but I know having a cat is not the answer - he hates cats with a passion. He is scared of dogs, even though when I was married, my husband and I always had a dog in the house. Brandon hated the long hair mini daschunds - he kept trying to choke them. We ended up finding a better home for them. He did not react well to a springer spaniel we had - apparently too much energy for him to absorb. The only dog he really tolerated was our Rosie - a Rottweiler. She attached to him and was his guardian and he never picked on her or tried to hit her. He would sit on the couch and she would come over to him and plop right in front of him and he would rest his feet on her back.

I live in an apartment complex where people can have dogs and several tenants have dogs and Brandon freaks out when he sees those animals. He screams and almost jumps out of his wheelchair. I would like to try getting a good dog that would be patient and that could help Brandon re-learn that being around a dog can be a good thing. But I am afraid of a small dog - my son can be harmful to such a small animal, and I do not want a big dog, we live in a 2 bedroom apt.

Do you think this could be even feasible? What are some suggestions? Thank you for your thoughts on this.
    Hi I think a old tyme bulldog is a good dog for your son as they are good with children and very loyal and very good gard dogs but are a bit lazy wich may be helpful if your son doesn't like dogs as it will not be hyper jumping all over him they are a medium sized dog I have one called roxy she is like one of the family xx twinkel
    brown_eyes_3546 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Dec 30, 2007, 12:10 AM
    I am sorry about the dog attack. It is terrible when people raise animals to do things like that. But as far as other dogs to consider here is my siggestion. It5 may be too early to think about a replacement because dogs are like family. I have had pets die that probably had more spent on caskets and things than most humans because we love them like kids.

Well a lot of people may think I'm crazy for saying this because of the dogs reputation but I lived in one bedroom apt. and I had a chow chow. They have a rough reputaion and I can not speak for all but I am a strict beleiver that all dogs react to the environment they were raised in. I can say that we got ours at 8 weeks old and he is the calmest dog I have ever had. Mine was raised aqround my two year old sister that pulled on his ears rode on his back and carried him by his neck if I wasn't watching. He was never hurt and he never bites. He is also extremely protective. We got a second dog when I was about 2 weeks pregnant < I didn't know> and he would not let the new dog around me or anything. Now that he knows the new dog doesn't want to hurt me he is fine. If someone comes to the house he lays at my feet protecting me and he doesn't ever try to get in my face for attention. Chows are very laid back in fact mine is laying on the couch beside me with my legs propped up on him as I type this. They also have really furry necks with extra skin so even if he did try to choke him or something the chow problly wouldn't even notice. <ours doesnt>

It is all about what your son likes and what would best benefit him but my chow is my baby and he is great with my 5 siblings when they are over <they are all under 7>. My boyfriend has had chows his whole life and they have always been protective and standoffish for him. I hope this helps.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Hi browneyes, and yes, what you said does help. Chows do have a tough reputation but I have known some that would melt for a good tummy rub too. Thank you for your kindness.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Am going to ask for this thread to be closed. Thank you's to everyone who responded to me and offered their heart's wisdom. You have brighten my day and helped me more than you know.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 05:01 PM
    When shygrneyes is ready, she can decide to start another thread to explore what is best for Brandon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement recommendation [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 30 years old and I'm self employed. I never have any retirement plan and planning to start one soon. My wife is 28 years old and she has some basic 401 k true the company that she works. Will some one please recommend as good retirement plan. Thank you

Software recommendation. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm tired of trying to use Excel as a database. Navigating to what I want amongst the rows, columns and tabs is becoming a nightmare. My needs are simple: to organize info and sometimes convert it for use on a website. Blew my mind to see the prices! MyDatabase at about $30 seems to cover...

Need a recommendation for a good Print Screen App [ 13 Answers ]

It must include auto scroll for web pages. I've used Print Screen Deluxe for years, but there's a bug in their most recent version and auto scroll is not working... and their support is horrid. Thanks!

Good dog book? [ 9 Answers ]

If I had to buy one very good dog book which should I buy? I would like one that could give me all the information I need from training to caring for the dog to well, everything.

View more questions Search