Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AMY SHARFMAN Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Smartphone/ PDA?
    Can someone tell me what the difference is between a smartphone and a pda?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
    The differences between the two have become blurred. Years ago a PDA was nothing more than an electronic organizer, and cellphones only had basic electronic organizer functions.

A modern Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) is like a handheld computer. PDAs often run PocketPC or the Palm OS, include wireless networking connectivity, and can be loaded with various kinds of programs. For example, Windows Mobile includes Microsoft Mobile Office, allowing you to access various types of office files, as well as Outlook. You can also download applications to the device, or load databases into the device, and use them wherever you take your handheld.

A SmartPhone brings the computer-like functionality of a modern PDA into a cellular phone. Some models also bring the functionality of an MP3 player.

SmartPhones are great when used primarily as cell phones. If you start using them more for their applications or as an MP3 player, the battery life takes a hit and you're left with little talk time on the phone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PDA Trouble [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, this is stupid, I have an HP ipaq and use it to cheak my emails but recently I try to get on it and there's some error so I try again and again. I have a hotmail account. Anyway it will work on everything else I even used it to write this here message. So I went on my real computer and it works...

PDA Ethernet card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a way to connect a PDA to a wired network using an Ethernet cable. I would like to be able to do this without use of any other computer. I do quite a bit of travelling and the hotels I visit don't always have wireless connections but more often have wired networks in the...

Pda for internet and chat [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best (and cheapest) pda if I want to be able to search the internet and instant message people?

SmartPhone Deduction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all! First post... I'm thinking of upgrading my cell phone to a "SmartPhone" (able to run Word, Excel, Outlook, browse internet, etc.). I work in the IT industry and would be doing this to help me in doing my job, however my employer does not provide my cell phone nor will they purchase the...

View more questions Search