Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Jan 7, 2016, 11:10 AM
    Tax estimate
    Just wanted to get a quick rough estimate.

I am a stay at home mom to 2 babies. One of which was born in 2015.

My husband makes about 41,000 before taxes each year.

We took out a loan from our 401k but have been paying it back monthly so I don't think we have to pay a penalty.

We file married filing jointly. He withholds as married but withhold at single rate and claims 0 dependants.

And we have a mortgage payment of 615 a month and it is escrowed.

Anyone give me an idea of our return? Do we qualify for the EIC?

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2016, 12:10 PM
    You do NOT qualify for the Earned Income Credit; however, you DO qualify for $2,000 worth of the Child Tax Credit.

You WILL get a refund; exactly HOW MUCH I cannot tell you until I see your husband's W-2.

If you want my professional help, please email me at the email address listed in my profile.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2016, 08:12 PM
    A loan from a 401(k) has no effect on your tax liability. It is not a withdrawal and the interest that you are paying (paying to yourself) is tax deferred income.

Your husbands final paycheck should have the YTD witholdings so you can use that to get an idea. You, in effect have 3 dependents. Your 2 children and your house. So withholding at the single rate should get you a nice refund.

There are online services where you can get a tax estimate for free.

I would reconsider his withholding for 2016. When you are overwithheld you are, essentially, making Uncle Sam an interest free loan of your money. You would be better off increasing the exemption he claims and putting the difference into a Savings account or other investment. This way your income would be working for you instead of Uncle Sam. While its nice to get a windfall in the spring of a tax return, its better to put that money to work for you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2016, 08:10 AM
    All that Scott says is valid, especially the point about over-withholding being an interest-free loan to the U.S. government.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estimate tax refunds [ 8 Answers ]

I am Indian. I am working under CPT program. For this year I will be approximately earning $ 38,961 Federal with holdings are approx $ 6940 CA with holdings are around $ 2100 Fed MED + Fed OASDI WH around $ 158 My tuition fees in the same year $22,172 How much tax refunds I can expect?

Tax estimate on 401K disbursment [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have 40000 in my 401K. I am 59.5 years old. If I take a lump distribution on this in January of 2013, and retire about how much federal tax will I have to pay on it?

How can I estimate the amount of my tax return? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have one more check to receive and I just wanted to get an estimate of how much I will be getting back this year for my income taxes.

Tax Estimate on Annuity withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I am withdrawing early a bonus dex annuitiy. I understand the 10% early IRS penalty but want to have the insurance co keep enough more to cover taxes. I don't want any surprises come tax time. How do I figure out what percentage to have them keep? Will I have to pay state tax as well? I don't want...

Estimate my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to get an estimate my 2008 tax return.

View more questions Search