Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnemartini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2016, 09:51 PM
    Can I hook copper pipe to stainless steel pipe in a potable water situaion
    I have a stainless steel tank inside my wood stove for heating domestic water and would like to connect to copper pipe to run to my hot water heater. Connections are outside of the wood stove. Was hooked to galvanized pipe. Big mistake. Totally clogged. Trying to avoid corrosion.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 4, 2016, 07:18 AM
    In most cases like this, people recommend DIELECTRIC Union fittings for the transition... see image. They are not expensive, are readily available at most plumbing supply stores and online at places like Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 196
Size:  36.9 KB
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jan 4, 2016, 04:02 PM
    John,
    Please proceed carefully while attempting to couple any type of wood / coal fired stove to conventional water heating or space heating equipment. I suggest contacting your water heater manufacturer for their recommended piping diagrams and control strategies, and consider the following: possible water chemistry issues, water born contamination / bacteria, the potential for dangerous excess temperatures & pressures, the rating of the wood stove exchanger / water coil, manufacturers warrantees for this type of connection, consult with your building code official and get a permit for the installation / connection... -
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 4, 2016, 07:38 PM
    I think you meant this link Mark for Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...el%2Caps%2C172
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 5, 2016, 05:31 PM
    Hi Tal... Yup, that's much better!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a diaelecrtic union required when going from black pipe to stainless pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Is a diaelectric union required when piping from black iron to stainless pipe

Can Schedule 40 pvc pipe be used to convey potable water in a public right-of-way [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to run 1-1/2 to 2" Sch. 40 pvc to convey potable water from a well to my house. It will be installed in a trench at the edge of a country road right-of-way, 10 feet away from the barrow ditch, 15 feet away from the road surface (which is dirt). My local government jurisdiction is...

Connect steel to copper pipe undergroud [ 10 Answers ]

Given steel and copper are dissimilar metals, is any special connector required to connect them as an underground supply line to sprinklers.

Connecting steel to copper pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Broken steel 1/2 inch supply line. Need to replace section that is in a wall cavity.Can the steel pipe be cut and some sort of union or compression fitting be used to connect it to new copper piping without having to thread the existing steel pipe in wall?I do not see a way in wich you could thread...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

View more questions Search