Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 27, 2016, 02:28 PM
    Technically yes. But a conscience decision was made to do it this way because there was not other practical option.
    The reason "S" traps are prohibited is because they can be sucked dry by the outflow of a large volume of water. As close as the vent pipe is to the trap that will ever happen in this case
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Nov 5, 2016, 05:05 AM
    [QUOTE=jeff J;3782364at a s-trap?[/QUOTE]
    Yes, Jeff that is an s - trap and it has the potential to syphon. A toilet is designed to syphon and will do so even though its vent is usually only 6 or 8 inches away. A dry trap will let foul odors, germs, bacteria, and in some cases, vermin & insects into the living space.
    There is a way to raise that tub trap and do so in a code compliant way - without using a dry horizontal vent below the flood level of the bath tub.
    The photo marked attachment 48110 shows the vent pipe turning upwards through the floor - I suggest removing that elbow and replace it with a vertical ty, aim the ty branch at the tub drain tailpiece and connect both with a new trap & drain pipe. The bottom of the ty should now be connected with an elbow to the existing drain... simple, effective, and, code compliant... I have never, in my 45 years of installing plumbing systems, installed a dry horizontal vent below the flood level of a fixture...
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Aug 27, 2017, 04:05 PM
    Attachment 48851

This photo is a perfect example of the problem with dry horizontal venting below the flood level of a fixture.......

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If don't have floor trap in toilet room how to solve the floor trap problem [ 4 Answers ]

We have separated toilet and bathroom in my hdb flat. There's not provided floor trap in our toilet room. Now we have to make a hole in the wall between toilet and bathroom and the water flow from this hole to the bathroom. But not all the water are not flowing to the bathroom. Can you help me to...

Floor Joist repair [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, am currently in reno my recently purchased house and a lot of work is need. Right now some of you might know I am getting help in replacing the plumbing through out the house. In the pic below is where the floor joist was cut for piping. The floor joist that been cut through completely has drop...

Floor joist [ 3 Answers ]

would sistering a 2x6 onto a old 2x6 be as strong as a 2x10 that should have been used? 24" on centers 14' span

Floor joist sizing, [ 6 Answers ]

I have sistered on 2 x 8's to my existing attic floor. It originally was framed with 2 x 4's and then 2 x 6's were sistered along to them. All the 2 x's are resting on the top plate. It feels sturdy enough to lay subflooring onto, but it is a twenty foot span. Will this be adequate?

View more questions Search