Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Strawbunny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2016, 06:20 PM
    My boyfriends parents are getting a divorce how can I help him?
    Hello! So, earlier today my boyfriend called me in tears because his dad had just told him that he and his wife might be getting divorced. The reason for this is his mom has been having an affair and loves someone else, the sad part about this is just a few days ago he was telling me how he was afraid his mom was cheating and I told him that was most likely not the case, I feel horribly guilty about brushing him off now. I don't want this is negatively impact our relationship, I want to help him through this any tips on what I can do or say to help?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2016, 06:32 PM
    You do nothing but be there to listen, to him, if he wants to talk. This is not his fault, he can not do anything about the divorce, and he really needs to stay out of the divorce issues and not judge on personal issues of his parents.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 01:59 AM
    I agree with Chuck. Just be there for him, listen when he wants to talk, hold him when he's upset, comfort him when he's crying, and support him. That's all you can do.

Divorce is hard on kids. How old is he? How old are you?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 03:20 AM
    Quite often kids get caught up in the middle of divorces that turn acrimonious. You might ask your parents if they can provide him a safe space, just in case.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 03:53 AM
    Just be honest and understanding, and a good listener as you support him through his tough times. You can't fix it for him, nor can he fix his parents. Just be there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriends parents hate me? [ 9 Answers ]

What do I do when my boyfriends parents hate me? Im 14 and he's 16, and his parents think that's a huge age difference, my parents think its okay. I used to see him every Saturday and then his parents shortened it to every other week and now I'm lucky if I get to see him once a month. We used to...

Boyfriends in custodial parents home [ 9 Answers ]

Does a 12 year old have to stay with the custodial parent if she constantly has her boyfriend over and he is condescending to her and thinks he is boss of her and her mom does nothing about it? They live in a 3 bedroom duplex and have 3 adults, and 3 kids there full time, and another one their...

I'm trying to find out who my boyfriends parents are he's adopted [ 10 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out who my boyfriends parents are he's adopted

Laws on parents having boyfriends overnight [ 5 Answers ]

Would like to know if there is a law in Texas that states that the parent that the kids live with may not have visits after certain times or a live in boyfriend I've been told its against the law but can't seem to find anything on this law.

Can my dad bring my boyfriends parents to trial? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm not entirly sure if this is the right spot for me to ask this question, but I felt that this was the most appropriate topic to ask it in. Basically some backround information: I started dating a guy about a year and 7 months ago. At the time that we started dating I was 15, but now I am 17. ...

View more questions Search