Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nks9a Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2016, 06:17 PM
    I caught my 8 yr old being curious with another 8 yr old boy
    I caught my 8 yr old son and his 8 yr old friend with their pants down being curious. Should I punish? Should I inform the other family?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2016, 06:39 PM
    What did you do and/or say to them when you caught them? Is the friend a boy or a girl?
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jan 2, 2016, 07:17 PM
    Two Boys
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2016, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Two Boys
    How do you know?

Jan 2, 2016, 07:23 PM
    I read it at the Subject and the op's comment on it.
    Help! I caught my 8 yr old being curious with another 8 yr old boy and
    I caught my 8 yr old son and his 8 yr old friend.

Reason for the bold print is I copied the Subject and it and the Op's comment came out bold/
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2016, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    I read it at the Subject and the op's comment on it.
    Help! I caught my 8 yr old being curious with another 8 yr old boy and
    I caught my 8 yr old son and his 8 yr old friend.

Reason for the bold print is I copied the Subject and it and the Op's comment came out bold/
    Aaaaaaah, it's in the title. Maybe they were comparing body parts as especially boys tend to do?

Jan 2, 2016, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Aaaaaaah, it's in the title. Maybe they were comparing body parts as especially boys tend to do?
    I would like to amend your comment to make that "Little Boys" LOL
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 01:45 AM
    Back on subject.

This is normal behavior. Kids are naturally curious about their own bodies, and the bodies of others, especially little boys.

I wouldn't punish, that would create a negative body image, and that's not something you want. I would sit down and talk to your son about privacy, about respecting his body, and that certain things aren't appropriate behavior. Tell him in a calm rational way, no shaming, no judgement.

I would tell the other parents, so they can also have a talk with their son.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 3, 2016, 05:32 AM
    There is nothing to punish, or freak out about, just a teachable moment. More important is HOW you tell his friends parents about this. Do either of the boys have siblings? Just because you are just finding out about their curiosity doesn't mean this is their first time.

You may find that you have a bit of catching up to do about your 8 year old.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 21, 2016, 10:51 PM
    Curiousity at the age of 3 to 5 would be no big deal to handle and explain , though at 8 I would take caution, though yea it's nothing to punish them over.

Only child do have bigger Curiousity than those with Sister or Brother.

Just teach them about themselves without going too much into the Birds and the Bees ( Sex ).
    noname1213 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2016, 05:57 PM
    There's no need to tell other family member is not the big of a deal and why would you punish him stop being over dramatic
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 23, 2016, 06:52 AM
    I would tell your son, that nobody should be allowed to touch/look at/investigate his private parts, nor should he touch anybody elses'.

If he is curious about body parts, get him a book, and read it with him, such as 'Our Bodies, Ourselves'. At 8 he should (already) know very clearly, that private parts are private.

I would as well inform the other parent, so that she/he too, can inform their son, that touching other people's body parts is not appropriate behavior.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We have two spirits in our house, a ten year old boy and someone else. The boy is sca [ 6 Answers ]

We have had a ten year old boy sprit in our house for many years. There is another spirit here as well. He is not so nice. He has tormented my son for many years. Apparently, the young boy is scarred of the other spirit. The boy will not speak to me. The boy lives in my sons room, so does the other...

A boy curious about sex [ 2 Answers ]

Im trying to figure out the name of a movie set in like the 50's or 60's about a kid who is going through puberty and is curious about sex. He goes to live with his aunt or something for the summer where he gets caught spying on a lady through a window if that helps and at the end his step dad or...

Cartoon movie with a boy the goes through fables(tortoise and hare,boy cries wolf,etc [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to figure out a cartoon movie(possible 80's) with a boy that goes through an adventure of fables, the boy who cried wolf, the tortoise and the hare, the ant and the grasshopper, etc.. The boy had brown hair and there was a donkey that ventured with him. Some part the wind and the sun try to...

Boy meets girl. Boy falls for her. Girl has boyfriend. Boy is lost. [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all. Thanks for being here. I will try to explain my situation briefly. Hope you have the time to read and reply. I'm 23, virgin and never have kissed a girl. Been to worried about my professional life until now. Three months ago I've met a beautiful girl at university (project partner)...

The story of a boy who caught my eye the very first day. [ 3 Answers ]

SO... there is this boy that works at the grocery store down the street from my store... I would say he is 18, as well as me... but from the very, THE VERY second I saw him... oh my GOD. I can't stop thinking about him.. when we talk I feel like we have a connection... but it's small talk, WHICH I...

View more questions Search