Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mojovase Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2015, 04:55 PM
    Wiring two switches for two lights with one main feed
    I have three 14-2 wires coming into the box. One for each light and the third being the power source. I connected all three neutral wires together. I then added two black wires and pigtailed it to the main hot wire. Both black wires that were pigtailed were then screwed to the bottom of the single-pole switches.

I then screwed one black wire to the top switch and did the same for the other switch. For some strange reason, I can not get one switch to work alone, as it will only work when the other switch is turned on. Can't figure out why that is happening.

I figured maybe the hot wire should be on the top instead, but I ran into the same problem. Can't get one light to turn on unless the other light is on.

Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 31, 2015, 05:40 PM
    I then added two black wires and pigtailed it to the main hot wire
    Can't get one light to turn on unless the other light is on.
    Because you are mistaken about which wire is the incoming hot.
    You connected the pig tails to a hot going to a light. You connected the incoming hot to one of the switches. The hot now comes to one of the switches, when the switch is on it goes through the switch to the second switch and to a light.

Rewire.

PS
    There is not difference in the switch screw terminals. The switch doesn't care which way the current goes through it.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 1, 2016, 06:57 AM
    Help me understand a little better.

Where is the "box" that these three cables are coming into, ceiling or wall?

Where are the switch outlet boxes in relation to the light outlet boxes?

Are you trying to get both lights to operate from either of the two switches? If so, do you have two three way switches?

Do you have any idea on how to wire three way switches?

If each light is to be controlled by its own switch, do know how to install a switch loop?
    mojovase Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2016, 07:37 AM
    Thanks for HKStroud for the knock on my head, to get my brain firing a bit better. Apparently, I pigtailed the "hot" wire coming from the light, thinking that was the main feed. All is good now. Thanks.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2016, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mojovase View Post
    Thanks for HKStroud for the knock on my head, to get my brain firing a bit better. Apparently, I pigtailed the "hot" wire coming from the light, thinking that was the main feed. All is good now. Thanks.
    Did you get it working? There really isn't a "hot" wire coming FROM the light, but as long as you got it working... great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire 3 switches for 3 lights with one feed [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to figure out how to wire a 3rd light switch into and existing 2 switch panel. There are 3 wires from the existing 2 lights (one white and two red) and a red loop. My new light with no power is to the 3rd switch, (one red one black). How to I get power from the 1st two switches to the...

Two switches (two separate lights) with continuous feed to garage door [ 0 Answers ]

How do I wire the three wires so that the garage has continuous power. I thought I had duplicated the wiring when I replaced the switches but those switches were 40 years old and these are obviously much younger , so not quite the same. The lights work but not the garage door. (A diagram would be...

Two lights, two switches, single feed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm planning on rewiring a non-working porch light. The inside switch for this light is in a two gang box with a switch for a kitchen light. I'd like to rig the porch light on a three way switch (so the porch light can be controlled from both inside and outside) to a hot lead that is also...

Wiring 3 switches for 3 lights [ 8 Answers ]

Hi,need a digram on wiring 3 switches in a gang box to 3 diff lights,I took power from a receptacle,I got one light to work,but need to know how to wire the other 2 lights and switches,also I am using 3 dimmer switches,the lighting is for a lionel train platform.thanks for your help,rich

Wiring 3 sets of lights off one feed [ 37 Answers ]

I have 3 rooms in my basement that will contain 4 recessed lights per room. Each room will have one wall switch to control the lights per that room. The power will come from a new single 15amp feed from the sub panel. Could you provide an easy to follow wiring diagram/explanation on how to hook...

View more questions Search