Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tnjcap1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2003, 10:13 PM
    Adoption in Maryland
    ? I have a 12 year old daughter and am married. My daughter was born in Oklahoma and I didn't put the fathers name on the birth certificate. We now live in md and my husband wants to adopt her to make her legally his but we were told by a lawyer that even though the fathers name isn't on the certificate I still have to find him to get him to sign over his rights. I believe that since he's not on there he doesn't have rights so why would I have to do that. If any one knows anything about something like this or can help me in any way please email me back.

Thank you
    penley13 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2004, 06:43 AM
    Adoption in Maryland
    Your post is almost 2 years old, maybe this has already been resolved. In virginia, 1981 my best friend at the age of 18 had a child out of wedlock, did not wish to keep him, and arranged a private adoption, and had to locate the biological father, who was a one night stand at a party so he could sign away his rights. Which since it wasn't a "relationship" he had not even been notified that the girl was pregnant to begin with. The law is funky here... I think with a lawyer you should be able to avoid this. If you raised your child alone, I assume maybe the biological father.. had no interest in the child or knowledge of the child. Either way, it wouldn't be likely he would object to signing his name on a paper that could remove his "financial" obligation... if he were threatened with child support papers, he probably could sign his name really fast.
    bashblah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 09:48 PM
    Blah
    What is the story of the boy who was adopted in 81? Email [email protected]
    kissthecook23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tnjcap1
    ??? I have a 12 year old daughter and am married. my daughter was born in oklahoma and i didn't put the fathers name on the birth certificate. we now live in md and my husband wants to adopt her to make her legally his but we were told by a lawyer that even though the fathers name isn't on the certificate i still have to find him to get him to sign over his rights. I believe that since he's not on there he doesn't have rights so why would I have to do that. If any one knows anything about something like this or can help me in any way please email me back.

Thank you
    OK I can tell you only a little - if you put unknown for the name of the father than there really isn't much they can do about it . My advice is to go to another lawyer and make it clear that this so called "father " was never involved and there for has no needs to sign over anything - good luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was adopted 7 years ago with my twin. We were adopted from St.Petersburg, Russia and I really want to find my real Mom. I know that there might be a slight chance she could be dead because she was a serious heroin user. I am 16 and I feel like I am at a point in my life in which I am ready to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted by a wonderful couple when I was only 3 months old. They never hid that from me and I am grateful. But 3 years ago I was contacted by my birth siblings. They are all nuts. I feel sorry for them. I was so lucky to have been placed in a loving home. I don't want them to call or come to...

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of a forum that deals with adoption law? Or can anyone here answer what I think is a simple question on the subject?

Maryland adoption laws [ 2 Answers ]

I've been divorced about 2yrs.I have 2 children,boy 16 and girl 12,my ex has turned them against me and they said they don't want to have anything to do with me every since she meet her new boyfriend(shes married to him now) and the court said it was up to them to make that decision.awhile back the...

View more questions Search