Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jman2012 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2015, 03:18 PM
    Trace knob and tube circuits
    I am planning to install an arc fault breaker on a knob and tube wired circuit. I have installed the arc fault breakers on a sub panel that is wired with romex, which was easy to pair the same circuit hot and neutral together. Since I need to pair the hot and neutral together with the knob and tube, does anyone have any advice on how to identify the neutral that should be paired with the hot? It is all like spaghetti coming into the panel.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 30, 2015, 05:00 PM
    My suggestion would be to plug something in an outlet or turn on a light on that circuit.

Turn all breakers off. Remove a neutral wire, turn breaker for that circuit on. If light comes on that is not the neutral for that circuit. Eventually you will find that the light does not come on when breaker is turned back on. That would be the neutral for that circuit.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2015, 05:11 AM
    Keeping the knob and tube? Not really acceptable.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2015, 06:29 AM
    Typically knob and tube circuits share neutrals...
    so I don't think an Arc fault breaker will even work here.
    If you are attempting to improve the wiring method either
    for yourself or a client, consider updating the knob and tube
    to NM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulation over knob and tube? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you spray cellulose insulation over knob and tube wiring in a attic

Proper way to trace electrical circuits [ 4 Answers ]

Recently, we replaced our old Pushmatic Breaker panel with a GE unit. Now I can get new breakers without having to buy them off E-Bay. Being a cheap Ba**rd, er I mean Frugal, I saved $50 by tracing the electrical circuits myself instead of having the electrician do it. Since I had to do it, and...

Knob & tube [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old house (1865) and it has knob & tube wiring. I have a fluorescent kitchen light with an older flip switch which goes up or down. It is a three way, with a switch on each side of the kitchen, and I have to flip the switch several times for it to come on. My question is can this be...

Knob & Tube [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my bathroom. Home built in the 50's with existing knob and tube. Bathroom has power coming into 1 switch that controls lighted medicine cabinet with outlet inside cabinet. Want to add 1 new light fixture, 1 GFI, and 1 ceiling fan (no light). Is there any diagram that...

Tieing in to knob and tube [ 3 Answers ]

When tieing in 14/2 at switch box, what do you do with the neutrals?

View more questions Search