Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2016, 03:02 PM
    Brazil is having epic summer storms right now. The husband of the husband and wife team from DIB, went to get supplies. A storm hit, and a tree fell right in front of his car. Seconds too late and he'd be dead now. He and a bunch of locals decided to get the tree out of it's path. Well, of course the tree had a bee's nest. So Carlos (from DIB) ended up with almost a dozen bee stings. In the meantime Jan, back at the home, was dealing with 64 dogs, the storm, a lot of dogs that are fearful of storms, and worried about her husband.

Whoever says they want to run a rescue in a place like Brazil, where they're really needed, is nuts! But thank God they do it. So many lives saved, while putting their own at risk. I could never ever do this. All I can do is rescue one, little Jake, and give my support in any way possible.

God bless them.
    Pets Expert

Jan 10, 2016, 12:45 AM
    After 6 days of DIB being offline (summer storms cut their power), they're back, and I can finally sleep well again knowing that all is well.

They've rescued two new dogs, so they're now at 66 dogs. One was dumped and rescued 15 minutes after, found chasing the car of his owners. The other is not as happy a story. I have no idea what happened to him, but he was tied to a tree, no clean water, not enough food (if any), for at least a year, according to the people that claim he isn't their dog, came with the property they bought a year ago, and also claim that they did all they could for him! Ya right!

His back (near his bum) is so swollen he looks like a hunchback, and there's a fist size hole, very deep, in that swollen area. He's missing toes on one foot, it's swollen, infected, and bone is showing. He's bones held together by skin. Every open sore, and there are many, are filled with maggots. He's dehydrated, anemic, starved, and more.

He's at the vet clinic now, and will be there until next week, then to the loving arms of DIB, where they will do their best to work the miracles they work so often. If anyone can save him, and make him whole (mind, body and soul), they can!

Can you imagine caring for 66 dogs? They cook all the dogs meals (dog food is not something easily found in Brazil), clean all kennels daily, then meds, and love and attention, and trips to the vet, and more and more and more.

They're also building more kennels, and trying to add more room so they can rescue more dogs. They really don't have the room for the two new dogs rescued, but they never turn a dog in need, away.

These people are truly Angels on Earth.
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2016, 04:37 PM
    An update, a very giddy, very happy Alty update.

Jake is done with his medication, and will be flying from Brazil to us, on the 28th of January. He arrives on the 29th. That's 6 days from now! 6 DAYS!

I'm so excited I can barely sit still. Don't want to be too excited, just in case something else goes wrong. But I can't help it. Once he's here I'll be able to breathe again. A sigh of relief, and pure joy.

Jake is coming home! :)
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 23, 2016, 07:58 PM
    I'm so happy for you!! I can't wait to see pictures!!
    Pets Expert

Jan 23, 2016, 08:55 PM
    I can't wait to post them TJ. He's coming home! So excited!

DIB, the rescue, is going through a lot right now. Carlos, the husband from the husband and wife team that runs DIB, was in hospital the other day, prostate problems. He has a urine bag right now, will need surgery and a biopsy to rule out (hopefully rule out) cancer. I have no idea how Jan would cope without Carlos. And with all that going on, they still booked Jakes flight and he'll be coming home to us in 6 days. Only 6 more days. :)

They need help right now, money to keep things going, they're at 67 dogs right now, most that need meds or vet care, and then their own issues to boot. I can't imagine doing what they do every day. Carlos is over 60 years old, not a young man anymore, and he does the majority of the work there, building kennels to take in more rescues, cleaning kennels every day, spending time with each dog in their care, feeding (they cook the food for the dogs, it's not dog food in a bag), medication for those that are on meds, and so much more, the day to day stuff you need to do to survive, like grocery shopping. It's a lot. I don't know how they do it.

If anyone here can donate to them, please do. Even if it's only $5, every bit helps. If everyone on fb or on AMHD donated just $5, they could make it.

It's Dogs In Brazil, they have a fb page and a website, so please, if you can, donate.

Thanks.
    Pets Expert

Jan 28, 2016, 04:05 PM
    Jake is on the flight. He's on his way here, finally! He'll arrive tomorrow at 10pm my time. We can't wait to hold him.

Now I just have to get through today, tonight, and all day tomorrow, worrying about him and his safety. I'm sure he'll be fine, but until I see him and hold him, I won't be able to breathe or rest.

I can't believe he's finally on his way. His new life is about to begin. :)
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2016, 08:37 PM
    Jake has been here for a little over a month now. He's such a little love bug.

He had a very long flight and the first moments we saw him, he was scared to death. He sat in the corner of his crate, back turned to us, and just shook. We decided to not remove him from his crate at the airport, but just take him in the car in his crate.

Syd sat in the back with him, opened the crate up, and within 10 minutes he was in her lap giving her kisses and love, and snooping around.

He had some issues with my husband at first, very fearful of him, but it's been getting better every day. Today Rod went shopping for groceries and when he came back all three dogs came running to great him. Jake even jumped in his lap for rubs and kisses, so that's major progress.

Syd is loving her puppy, and the feeling is mutual. He follows her everywhere she goes. It's hard when she goes to school, he misses her, but he loves me too, and thankfully I'm home all day so we get to spend a lot of time together. But he's always more excited when it's time to pick Syd up from school. He just loves her so much.

It took so long to get him here and now the time is flying by. We're so happy to have our new little fur baby.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2016, 03:46 AM
    Alty... it's absolutely heartwarming ☺. So happy to hear Jake is settling in well. Your family is truly a blessing for him... and no doubt it's mutual for your family, especially Syd.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 7, 2016, 01:56 PM
    Im glad it is all working out. Sounds like a good dog.
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2016, 04:14 PM
    Thanks guys. He is a major blessing. We saved him, but as is typical with rescues, he's saved us too. He's taught us so much even in the short time he's been here.

He's such a smart little guy, learns so quickly. He also has so much energy. He bounces, like a bunny, when he's excited. It's too cute to watch. He's learned to sit very easily, and has lay down almost down pat. He comes when he's called and definitely knows his name, which we didn't change because it suits him. He loves the cat, sadly the feeling isn't really mutual. We've had a few tiffs in that area, but they're the same size so at least it's a fair fight, and never really goes to a full on fight, more like the cat saying, "okay, I've had enough, leave me alone".

We had to work hard on harness training. We chose a harness instead of a collar because of how he was found, legs tied together and a cola bottle around his neck. He freaks out when we even try to put a collar on him. The harness is less traumatic. We went slow, lots of treats, lots of praise, and now when he sees the harness he gets excited because he knows it's time for a walk.

Walks are both fun and scary for him. Every time he sees another person he tucks tail and tries to hide. Every car that goes by, scares him. But we're working on it. The other day Syd took him to the park. It's a playground with a very huge field behind it, and forest area behind that. There was a lady with her two young kids and their 3 month old German Shepherd. Syd got to talking with the lady. By the end of the conversation Jake allowed the lady to pet him and hold him. He does a lot better with women than he does men. The kids were a bit too hyper for him, and he backed off from them. Thankfully he's not like Rascal our border collie. Rascal is fearful but can be aggressive fearful if pushed. Jake is not at all aggressive when he's afraid, he just slinks away.

He's such a great pup, and we're making new strides with him every day. He's so young, and that's great, because I'm sure that within a few months, his past and his fears will be completely behind him. :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 7, 2016, 06:37 PM
    Im sure the litle guy is still trying to figure out what is "normal" right now. It just takes time. And the love is there already.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 7, 2016, 07:11 PM
    Alty, that's great news! So nice to hear about the adjustment. Have you posted any pictures? Work has been so busy that I'm not checking in often enough.
    Pets Expert

Mar 8, 2016, 05:18 PM
    There are a few pictures on the DIB (Dogs in Brazil) fb page. When I post them here only a small handful of people can actually see them. Also, I'm mainly been taking pictures with my phone and I can't figure out how to get on to AMHD from my phone. FB yes, but for some reason it doesn't give me access to AMHD.

There's also a Dogs In Brazil alumni page on Facebook, there are few pictures of him there. I have pictures and video on my page, and his page. Yes, he has a page. It's "Jake is home".

He's such a little sweetheart, and so cute. Too cute for words. He's melted our hearts. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I tested positive for oxycodone when I take hydrocodone [ 1 Answers ]

I as well have been taken hydrocodone and oxycodone for over 10 years for multiple back issues and they alternate it every 6 months or so and I get tested every month I go in to get my meds refilled. I'm currently on hydrocodone and it has been 6 months since I have taken oxy. Last week I went to...

I take oxycodone but tested positive for hydrocodone [ 1 Answers ]

I'm also in a pain management program I have severe nerve damage in my back due to a accident I have been in the program for over 10 years. I take oxycodone but recently I tested positive for hydrocodone something I have not taken for many year if you have any information for me I would be very...

Do you have to get tested for a disease before leaving Ghana? [ 29 Answers ]

Do you have to get test from a medical hostipal to leave ghana?

We split and now she says she tested positive for pregnancy! [ 19 Answers ]

My GF and I just split last week, and it was kind of a rough split. We split, after breaking up and getting back together many times over the past 6 months, for good last Friday. I didn't see her or talk to her at all over the weekend (we live in the same building). I see her on Sunday night and we...

Yasmin because, tested positive. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. My wife has been on Yasmin for about 4 months now. She was on Yasmin before we got married for 2 months. Well, she started to feel a little different lately and thought maybe she was pregnant. We didn't think it would have been possible since she was on the "pill". She took THREE pregnancy...

View more questions Search