Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 02:15 AM
    Dog tested positive for ehrlichiosis tick disease
    As many of you regulars know, we are rescuing a dog from a shelter in Brazil. He was due to fly out in 2 weeks, then on the 24th of December his pen mate was found dead. No signs or symptoms, she was perfectly healthy the day before, and then suddenly she was just gone.

In Brazil it's tick season, and ehrlichiosis is very common there. As a precaution they started our dog on antibiotics as soon as they found his pen mate dead. Sadly they couldn't easily get him tested, the labs for the vet they use, are closed until after New Years.

Well this morning our little pup (he's a terrier mix, 10 pounds), had a high fever, was lethargic and not eating. So they drove 2 hours to the animal hospital. He was tested for ehrlichiosis, and was found to be positive for that. They're also testing for febre Maculosa, and babeosis. Those tests have to be sent to a different lab, so the results won't be back until Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest.

They started an IV with antibiotics, and he's showing signs of improvement. He's now eating, and has energy.

I know absolutely nothing about tick disease. It's not an issue where I live. I've tried to do some research, but you know how it is online, you get many different opinions, and that's all they are, opinions. No way to know what's true or not. I called our vet, but he has no experience with this, has never had a case, because like I said, it's not something we deal with here.

I 'm looking for more info about this, someone that has actual knowledge about it. What are the long term effects if he survives? Is it contagious or is it only caught through a tick bite? I read online that it can stay in their system for years, and reinfect during times of stress (a flight from Brazil to Canada will surely be stressful, but then again, he's at risk staying in Brazil). If this is a chronic case, or if he tests positive for the other two things they're testing for, what are his chances of survival, and what is his future prognosis? Will he always have issues because of this? What will his quality of life be if he survives?

He's less than a year old. He's got a family (us) waiting to give him a forever home. We're so very worried, and we're stuck here, thousands of miles away, not able to be there, not able to ask the vet questions, and not really knowing what it is he's dealing with because we don't have this issue here.

Any info would be very much appreciated, along with prayers.

If you are a friend on Facebook and you're reading this, please do not mention it on fb. The wonderful people that run this shelter where we're getting our dog, have a vet nearby, but he's not equipped to handle something like this. He has threatened in the past, that if they take their dogs to another vet, he will drop them as clients. They need him. He's nearby. But for emergencies, this animal hospital is better equipped. He only has a small clinic. With 64 dogs in your care, and only two people to look after them, and all their needs, you cannot spare one person to drive 2 hours to that hospital, wait all day, and then drive back, and repeat for days. So they cannot lose the local vet. So please, do not mention anything on Facebook about this. I do not want to be responsible for them losing their vet. They have enough to deal with.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 12:23 PM
    I found a few links that appear to be reputable and they all send the same message.

Ehrlichiosis in Dogs

Ehrlichiosis in Dogs (Signs, Diagnosis, Treatment)

Ehrlichiosis in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospitals

The outcome is going to vary by the extent of the term of illness. For the most part it looks like the dog can survive this but it is going to take time to heal.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 12:34 PM
    As far as the other tests they are running they are for Tick related infections. In the U.S. we call it Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

febre Maculosa

Epidemiological aspects of the Brazilian spotted fever: serological survey of dogs and horses in an endemic area in the State of São Paulo, Brazil

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) | CDC

Parasite Infection (Babesiosis) in Dogs

Parasite Infection (Babesiosis) in Dogs | petMD
    Pets Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 12:49 PM
    Thank you for the links cdad. One thing that worries me is that a few of the sites I found seem to suggest that once a dog has had this, it can come back in times of stress. I don't see how that would be possible though. It's an infection, so once it's cleared up with antibiotics, shouldn't it be gone for good, unless they're reinfected with another tick bite?

Sorry, I know you're not a vet. Just finding differing info on this, and would like to know what's fact, and what's just opinion. If it's true that it could come back when a dog is stressed, than I'm really concerned about his 30 hour flight from Brazil to Canada.

On a side note, he's doing better today. He's responding well to treatment. They still have him on an IV, and he has to remain in the animal hospital for at least one more night. He still has a fever but it's lower than it was yesterday. He was energetic, and happy to see the shelter owner when he went to visit. They sent me a video so I could see for myself that he's doing a bit better.

The prognosis is good. The vet seems to think he'll fully recover, but he isn't out of the woods yet. We're crossing all our fingers and toes that he'll be okay. We love him already. Just need to get him healthy and get him out of Brazil. No ticks in my part of Canada, so he'll be safe here.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 01:27 PM
    The "it comes back in times of stress" part can come from a weakened immune system from having it in the first place. Humans can be the same way. As far as the problem goes it should be wiped out within a few weeks. The only thing being is if anything survives and goes dormant. That is always a possibility.

The main focus now is to get the little guy healthy. It sounds like they are following the standard for treatment. Have faith. Ive been told that my animal didnt have long to live and ended up spending the next 17 years together. You can only do your best.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Thank you for the links cdad. One thing that worries me is that a few of the sites I found seem to suggest that once a dog has had this, it can come back in times of stress. I don't see how that would be possible though. It's an infection, so once it's cleared up with antibiotics, shouldn't it be gone for good, unless they're reinfected with another tick bite? .
    Look up Lyme Disease Alty. It's caused by a tick bite and has permanent ramifications. It's not the same disease, of course, but it has similar issues in that it is permanent and can rear its ugly head in times of stress.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm left wondering how much more they are going to tac on to the price of this dog to get him from Brazil to Canada.
    Pets Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Look up Lyme Disease Alty. It's caused by a tick bite and has permanent ramifications. It's not the same disease, of course, but it has similar issues in that it is permanent and can rear its ugly head in times of stress.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm left wondering how much more they are going to tac on to the price of this dog to get him from Brazil to Canada.
    J, we're not paying for this. The price hasn't changed at all. They're paying for all the vet expenses. They had him neutered in December, and now this emergency treatment, and before he comes he has to have 4 baby teeth pulled that never dropped out. They're paying for all of that. We're still only paying for the flight.
    Pets Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    The "it comes back in times of stress" part can come from a weakened immune system from having it in the first place. Humans can be the same way. As far as the problem goes it should be wiped out within a few weeks. The only thing being is if anything survives and goes dormant. That is always a possibility.

The main focus now is to get the little guy healthy. It sounds like they are following the standard for treatment. Have faith. Ive been told that my animal didnt have long to live and ended up spending the next 17 years together. You can only do your best.
    Thanks cdad. I talked to Sneezy, asked him about all of this. He did some research, and of course as a doctor he does know about this disease in humans. He said that unless his immune system is extremely compromised, stress shouldn't make it come back. It's an infection, so once the antibiotics work, and wipe the infection out, he'll be fine. And based on what I was told, and what I told him, they caught it early.

He's responding well to treatment. He still has a bit of a temperature so he's staying a second night at the animal hospital, and he's still on IV. But he's energetic, and eating. The shelter owner went to see him, and Jake was very happy to see him, very excited. They sent me the video of the visit. Poor little Jake and his IV, but he looks very energetic. It was so good to see that.

If his fever goes down he'll be able to go back to the shelter tomorrow. He'll be on the antibiotics for a month, and then if he gets the all clear from the airlines vet, he'll be flying here.

Fingers crossed all goes well.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 08:06 PM
    Just remember that it may take alittle longer then normal to aclimate to your climate. The dog has never seen tempratures like what you experience in your area. Coming in the dead of winter will be a shock to say the least.
    Pets Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 09:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Just remember that it may take alittle longer then normal to aclimate to your climate. The dog has never seen tempratures like what you experience in your area. Coming in the dead of winter will be a shock to say the least.
    It will be a huge shock. We have a jacket for him, and were thinking about booties too, but when he was found his little legs were tied up, he had a cola bottle around his neck, and severe mange. I'm not sure that putting botties on him would be okay with him, might remind him of his legs being tied.

But really, he'll only be going outside to pee and poo. The rest of the time he'll be in the warm house. Walks will wait until Spring, when it's warmer, and he's more used to being with us and the weather.

Hopefully by next winter he'll be used to living here. They've sent many dogs to Canada, and the US, and they've all acclimated to the difference in temperature and environment. It's a much more suitable place for dogs than Brazil.
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2015, 09:03 PM
    Update for anyone that cares. Jakes temperature is back to normal. They did some more blood work today, and the other results will be back on Tuesday. Vet said it's very unlikely that he has two types of tick disease at once.

He's doing well, very energetic, eating, drinking, peeing, pooing, and very playful. If he stays stable he'll get to go back to the shelter tomorrow. After that it's a month of antibiotics, 4 baby teeth pulled that never fell out, a test to make sure that the infection is completely gone, and then on a plane to Canada.

I can't wait to hold him in my arms.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 03:46 PM
    I am so happy to hear some good news! He's going to love living with your family! Your fur babies are all loved and this little guy will finally experience happiness.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 05:17 PM
    Good News. And we all care. It is just some are more silent or decide not to make feelings public.
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 06:54 PM
    Thanks TJ and cdad.

Update, he's back at the shelter, his home for now. He was so happy to go home. He was very hyper in the car, sitting on the dash, scrambling around. He's one very lucky pup.

They're keeping him indoors until he leaves to fly to us. They don't want to take any more chances with him. He's the smallest dog they've ever had at their shelter. The bigger dogs seem to do better with all the hazards. A small dog like Jake (he's 10 pounds soaking wet), is at a higher risk. So for now until the day he leaves, it's inside living for him, to reduce any risk of him getting something else.

It's strange to love a dog so much, that you haven't met. The videos and pictures and stories about him, made me fall in love. Then the rest of the family followed suit. Apparently he's a very cuddly dog. As soon as you pick him up, he melts in your arms. He loves to be held and snuggled. He also loves car rides (that will be new for us, our two don't travel very well). He's not yet potty trained, but we'll work on that. I'm used to golden puddles and warm brown piles. Stepped in my fair share of them. :)

I've been thinking a lot about Roxy, his pen mate, the one that died, and the reason they started Jake on antibiotics before he showed any signs of being sick. If she hadn't died, Jake would be dead now. Starting him on antibiotics right away, without lab work to confirm tick disease, saved his life. They've started all the dogs in the shelter on antibiotics, all because of Roxy. Her death has saved Jake, and so many more. A huge sacrifice. She was young, and such a sweet dog. If we could have adopted more than one, it would have been Jake and Roxy. She will always have a special place in my heart. Because of her sacrifice, Jake is alive, and will have a good home.

RIP Roxy. Thank you for giving your best friend a chance to live so he can have a better life, with us. I will never forget you. Run free on the rainbow bridge.

If you want to see pictures of Jake, check out Dogs in Brazil on Facebook. There are tons of pictures of him. Some from today, since coming back to his temporary home. He's such a sweetie. He's so loved. Can't wait to hold him in my arms and make sure he's always safe, for the rest of his long life.
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 07:44 PM
    Attachment 48068

Hoping this works. This is Jake. :)
    Education Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 08:26 PM
    Oh my goodness!! He's adorable. What a precious little guy. Can't wait for pictures from your house.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 29, 2015, 08:57 PM
    Great news Alty. Now if the attatchment would work. lol

" You have attempted to view a Attachment that no longer is available. Please click one of the links in the menu to continue." GRRRRRR !

Maybe try picpaste and put the link here and other places for people to see.

It is free and easy to use.
    Pets Expert

Dec 30, 2015, 01:13 AM
    I have no idea what picpaste is. And you know me cdad. Free is great, but don't be so sure that I'll find it easy. ;)

Thanks TJ. He's a cutie. A scruffy little mop. I can't wait to post pictures of him in our home. Soon. Only one month and he'll be here.
    Education Expert

Dec 30, 2015, 10:46 AM
    I saw the picture and the ones on Facebook. I don't have Facebook, but I went to the rescue site. He's precious!
    Pets Expert

Jan 1, 2016, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I saw the picture and the ones on Facebook. I don't have Facebook, but I went to the rescue site. He's precious!
    I'm glad you found it. He is a sweetie, isn't he? A scruffy little pup just waiting to be loved by his forever family. Can't wait for him to come home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I tested positive for oxycodone when I take hydrocodone [ 1 Answers ]

I as well have been taken hydrocodone and oxycodone for over 10 years for multiple back issues and they alternate it every 6 months or so and I get tested every month I go in to get my meds refilled. I'm currently on hydrocodone and it has been 6 months since I have taken oxy. Last week I went to...

I take oxycodone but tested positive for hydrocodone [ 1 Answers ]

I'm also in a pain management program I have severe nerve damage in my back due to a accident I have been in the program for over 10 years. I take oxycodone but recently I tested positive for hydrocodone something I have not taken for many year if you have any information for me I would be very...

Do you have to get tested for a disease before leaving Ghana? [ 29 Answers ]

Do you have to get test from a medical hostipal to leave ghana?

We split and now she says she tested positive for pregnancy! [ 19 Answers ]

My GF and I just split last week, and it was kind of a rough split. We split, after breaking up and getting back together many times over the past 6 months, for good last Friday. I didn't see her or talk to her at all over the weekend (we live in the same building). I see her on Sunday night and we...

Yasmin because, tested positive. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. My wife has been on Yasmin for about 4 months now. She was on Yasmin before we got married for 2 months. Well, she started to feel a little different lately and thought maybe she was pregnant. We didn't think it would have been possible since she was on the "pill". She took THREE pregnancy...

View more questions Search