Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tracybachert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Roofing a cinder block shed
    My son is building a cinder block shed for Little league as his Eagle Project. It has to be Cement or cinder block so it does not get burned down, per the city. He is having a hard time figuring out how to do the roof and we can not seem to get any answers. Can anyone help?
    Tracy
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 15, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Normally... a "plate" (dimensional lumber [ie. 2X6 or 2X8 Douglas Fir] is installed on the top of the block wall and the roof trusses are attached to it. It would be a good idea to get some basic building requirements from your local Building Department. Also... I'm sure that a project like yours requires a building permit (especially because kids are going to be close by) and your local city or county Building and Safety office probably has what's called a "Uniform Building Code" .
    mcdade1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tracybachert
    my son is building a cinder block shed for Little league as his Eagle Project. it has to be Cement or cinder block so it does not get burned down, per the city. he is having a hard time figuring out how to do the roof and we can not seem to get any answers. can anyone help?
    Tracy
    Build it out of metal. Metal stud track to block then use metal studs as rafters.
    leniamoore5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Actually, I had a question for mcdade1 and I noticed the question was asked back in April. If that member is still actively using this site then I was wondering if you had any links to websites which gave further information on cinder block buildings? Im looking for information regarding the actual construction of the building and insulating the walls when leaving the interior walls bare.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by leniamoore5
    Actually, I had a question for mcdade1 and I noticed the question was asked back in April. If that member is still actively using this site then I was wondering if you had any links to websites which gave further information on cinder block buildings? Im looking for information regarding the actual construction of the building and insulating the walls when leaving the interior walls bare.
    This area will aid you in your search.

Insulation cynder block walls - Google Search
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Leniamoore5;;- Insulate the blocks with ( Zoneite Granules) Just pour down inside the holes of the blocks, use a piece of #5 rebar to help to get all way down and compacted better, do this beforyou put the 2x8 top plate on top of last top block.Thats what used to be used , I don't know if it's still used or not ,or if it's still available or not . Good luck ( KBC DO YOU KNOW IF IT'S STILL AVIABLE OR NOT < IF SO WHO HANDLES IT NOW?? ) THANKS KBC GOOD DAY F.B.E.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 10:37 PM
    I'd go with a metal foof, (PANELS) , and metal type rafters, I'm prety sure buildings there will NOT pass meyal studes as rafters. There are other types. Do as noted above ,( CHECK The BUILDING CODES IN YOUR AREA < IM PRETTU SURE THE BUILDING INSPECTOR WILL COME OUT AND TALK TO YOU AND YOUR SON,And I doubt that he will charge any < mostley because who and why he is doing the project. GOOD LUCK, god BLESS. HOPE I HAVE HELPED. TELL YOUR SON I'm very proud of him:::::: f.b.e.
    TerryB Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Nov 19, 2007, 03:11 PM
    For rafters you would use metal joists. Your supplier will help you pick the right size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stains on cinder block fence [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cinder block fence and on the outside wall which fall on the street there are stains most likely from water/rain sipping from the yard. I have a desert landscape and just couple bushes, watering is done by the drip system 3 times a week, when the water dripping system start the ground...

Mold on outside cinder block wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have black mold growing on my outside cinder block wall sourendering my back yard. I live in Las Vegas so the climate is dry but watering the lawns is causing the mold to grow since we have to water in the evenings so the water does evaporate so fast due to the hot climate. How do I remove this...

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

View more questions Search