Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phil Winston Jr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2015, 06:40 PM
    Truck won't start
    I have an1985 Chevy c10... I was driving and it just died out... I have changed the module... I have changed the coil packet... I have check the starter ; the alternator; the battery... I have even changed the ignition starter switch... and it still won't start.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2015, 06:31 AM
    Have you checked for fuel before you spent so much money on a 30 yr. old vehicle?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2015, 07:39 AM
    Check for spark, since you overhauled the ignition. On those old HEI systems, you need to be sure you installed the ignition grounding strap properly and that the ignition cap fits squarely on the distributor housing and locks with four clamps. It's best to install a new ignition cap and rotor, along with the new coil. Did you make sure the power wire is attached to the distributor cap and did not drop down on the engine?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2015, 10:23 AM
    If the starter motor does not crank, perform an ignition by-pass test. Install either a remote starter switch or a 12 AWG wire between the positive battery cable and the "S" terminal on the starter motor solenoid. If the battery and the starter motor are good, the starter motor should crank.

Be sure to test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multi-meter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Truck won't start [ 0 Answers ]

It has a brand new fuel pump and drove 2 days,went to store and now won't staart, it turns over but getting no fuel.. u can't even smell fuel.what's the problem?

74 chevy truck will turn over but won't start. Will start with starter fluid but won't [ 1 Answers ]

My 74 chevy pickup sat over the winter and now it won't start. I was running just fine before I let it sit. It turns over but won't start. If I use starter fluid, it will start but won't stay running. I don't smell gas in the carb either. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or the filter. Problem...

Why won't my truck start? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a '92 Chevy S10 Blazer. I checked the oil (needs to be changed but otherwise fine), transmission fluid and coolant, all are normal. Battery was replaced about a year ago as well as the starter (although the starter was used). I started it this morning, it turned over just fine but was idling...

Truck won't start need [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a v6 engine I ran it low on fuel and now it want start it has fuel in now but it want start it was running fine when I parked it 2 days ago

My truck won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Chevy Chynne (sp) that will trun over but will not crank. I drive it daily to work and have had no trouble with it. This morning it would not crank, I tried to jump it off but nothing...

View more questions Search