Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Dec 23, 2015, 03:17 PM
    Oscillating Saw?
    Have a Project coming up.. We Removed the Stove Top / Counter Incert.. We have a piece of Bambo Counter Top to fill in the hole if you will.. The thinking is without Undoing / Removing the Counter Top , to just cut a straight line from the Outside edge back to the Wall.. My Question, without cutting into the Wall would an Oscillating Saw cut the last couple inches Safely? Counter Top is 1 1/2" thick..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2015, 03:50 PM
    It will do the job but buy an aggressive blade. Take your time because there will be a lot of heat building up on the blade due to the thickness of the wood. Try cutting as much as you can with a sabresaw or reciprocating saw

Dec 23, 2015, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    It will do the job but buy an aggressive blade. Take your time because there will be a lot of heat building up on the blade due to the thickness of the wood. Try cutting as much as you can with a sabresaw or reciprocating saw

That's the Plan, using a Circular Saw cut as close as I dare to the wall.. The Skill Set will be Not to Cut into the Wall.. lol..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2015, 03:58 PM
    You cant get very close at all with a normal circular saw, usually will leave 3-4 " to go. Dremel makes a miniature circular saw that will get you as close as 1.5"
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2015, 06:48 PM
    Hi Norplan, myself I'd use this flush cut blade in my jigsaw. Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW3311-.../dp/B000R8GVMG

Dec 23, 2015, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime View Post
    Hi Norplan, myself I'd use this flush cut blade in my jigsaw. Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW3311-.../dp/B000R8GVMG

@parttime.. Hmmm Interesting... Thanks..
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 25, 2015, 07:56 AM
    Yes, the oscillating saw will cut the counter top. It also gives you a lot of control.
    If you plan on purchasing one for this purpose only, I recommend a Harbor Freight shown below. It is not a Fein or Bosh but it works great. Doesn't oscillate as fast, nor is it a comfortable in you hand but it works great. I have a Bosh but I also have a Harbor Freight that I carry around in my truck just in case I need it.
    Throw away the HF blades. Not worth even trying to use. Get an Imperial brand plunge cutting blade.

For $18 you can't go wrong. You will spent more for a couple good blades.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oscillating Fan Floor Model [ 0 Answers ]

Oscillating floor Fan from South America.Has been running for two years. But has problem with the switch box. All are solder contacts. The blacks come into the switch to two sodden points. With the grey Wire going to the fan motor. Either I could fix, or better yet wire it directly...

New angular amplitude of an oscillating pendulum [ 1 Answers ]

Q. An ideal pendulum was oscillating with an amplitude 60 degree inside a stationary elevator. when pendulum was passing through equilibrium position the lift suddenly starts moving upward with an acceleration a=g . Find the new angular amplutude of the oscillation.

Oscillating tempurature in shower [ 1 Answers ]

The water in my shower goes from lukewarm to very hot. It does this consistently during a shower. I live in a high rise so I don't have a hot water heater. Help

The position of a mass that is oscillating on a spring is given by (15.9 cm) [ 3 Answers ]

The position of a mass that is oscillating on a spring is given by (15.9 cm) because . What is frequency of this motion?

110v standing/oscillating fan-Holmes Blizzard plugged into 240v source, burning smell [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a US student overseas and I accidentally plugged a 110v fan into a 220v outlet. The fan ran for sometime before I noticed a burning smell and I ran over to quickly unplug the fan. The fan was on high speed and right before I unplugged it dropped to a low speed. I waited for the fan to cool...

View more questions Search