Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 04:32 PM
    Merry Christmas!
    It's that time of year again. How many Christmas threads have I started on this site, 9? It's been a long time.

Things on AMHD are slowing down, it's not the site it used to be, I'm not on here very much anymore, which is actually a good thing, spending more time with family, our pets, life. But I still stop by once in a while, and I still think of all those members who I only have contact with here.

Life is good for the Alty's. The kids are both teenagers and they're awesome young people. I'm so proud of them both. As a parent it's amazing to be able to say that your kids turned out to be good people, and I can truly say that.

I've been working on fixing up our house, bit by bit. Just finished painting the bunny/bird/hamster/computer room, and the family room will be done in the new year. Slowly but surely, as we can afford to buy supplies. It's already looking great.

The two bunnies we have left, 12 year old Thumper and 10 year old Cotton, have a new cage. It's a bunny castle! Rod made it out of two corner china cabinets we got for free. Looks amazing! They love it.

Marty and Bo, the cockatiels, are finally together in the same cage, and so far so good.

We only have two gerbils left, poor little Kippo passed away earlier this year. We also agreed to take on two hamsters that a family member didn't want anymore. One passed away a short while after we got him, the other is doing very well.

Kashi the kitten is no longer a kitten. He'll be 2 soon, and he's doing great. He's a very small cat, and we love it. He's also very feisty.

Chewy our beagle is almost 9, and his muzzle is starting to grey. But he's still full of puppy energy. Rascal will be 4 soon, and he's doing great. He's such a smart dog, and such a love bug. We will be adding a third dog, Jake, to our family in the beginning of January. He's a rescue from a wonderful shelter in Brazil called Dogs in Brazil. He had a tough start in life, got his second chance, and now he's going to have a home, and a family, ours. He's a little black terrier mix, 10 pounds soaking wet, almost a year old. We can't wait to bring him home, he'll make a great new addition to the puppy pack. :)

My crafts page is doing well, and soon I'll be building things again, and hopefully making some money doing it.

All in all, 2015 has been a good year. A very good year. I haven't been this unprepared for Christmas in a long time, but I also haven't been this at peace in a long time. It's a good feeling.

So please, tell me about your family, your journey this past year, and above all, have a very Merry Christmas, or whatever it is you celebrate.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 06:26 PM
    So good to hear from you, Alty!! Well, it has been a busy year here with work and home life. We began the new year with a flood in the house. Seems some idiot soldered a hole in a copper pipe 24 years ago and it finally gave. What a pain! Luckily, insurance paid most, except all of the days I had to stay home while workers redid walls, floors, etc.

Work keeps the hubby and I quite busy. I had no idea leaving my nice, easy teaching position 3 years ago for this one would be so intense. I love my job, but I work harder than ever. Our school has a wait list of over 1000 students---not bad for a public school. Kindergarteners are adorable and I love every little thing they do and say! It's a dream job.

Son #1 got married 3 months ago. Who knew how expensive these things can be? She's a nurse, and a real sweetheart
    A grandpuppy will be joining our family on Christmas! We are so happy for them!

Son #2 is beginning his last year of school. He is treating patients now and is excited to be taking his boards in the new year. We are excited and hopeful he will figure out what specialty interests him. It will be nice when he has an income!

We are very proud of both of our kiddos!

On to the pets: Our Scottie is now 8 and a spitfire. He looks so handsome now that his beard and skirt are so long. The rescue kitty is slowly mellowing out a bit, but runs the dogs around as the Alpha male. He recently discovered how much fun jumping on the walls chasing shadows can be. The beagle is 2 and still so quiet. She only barks when she runs the fence with the neighbor's dog. We have a real bed hog!

So, life is good and we are very thankful here! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year!
    Pets Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 07:05 PM
    A married son and a grandpuppy on the way? Sounds wonderful! Another that's almost finished what I assume is med school? That's great!

I can't imagine teaching Kindergarten. It would drive me nuts. Yes, they're young, and cute, but boy oh boy, I remember those years with my kids. No common sense! Loved them and all their questions, but 30 or more of them would have killed me. ;) Teenagers may be hard, but I prefer this age. They now understand most common sensical (sp?) things.

Never had a Scottie. Don't know much about that breed. I have a fb friend I've never met that has one, and her weekly posts about his antics are worthy of a book. A beagle that barks at the neighbors dogs? Surely a mythical creature. LOL! And she hogs the bed? No way! Where is the sarcasm font?

Our beagle is almost 8 years old, barks at the neighbors two zus whenever they're out, but they start it! The other neighbor has a lab cross. When he's out our dogs never bark at him, because he doesn't bark. The zu's come out barking, from the minute they're out the door. Our dogs will be outside basking or playing, or pottying, never a bark out of them. But when the zu neighbors come out it's bark central. Chewy, the beagle, is the worst, oi with the baying! Rascal will bark, then run back inside to tell on Chewy. Sigh.

As for the bed. I sleep with a Chewy beagle constantly snuggled up as close to me as possible. I get up to go to the bathroom, come back, and little beagle bum is now laying on my pillow. I was gone for 30 seconds! Seriously?

But life without them would not be worth living. Our house is a home, kids, pets, and us. We wouldn't change it for the world. But I have been told that despite the fact that hubby spent many days making a new bunny kingdom, I am not allowed to rescue more when they're gone, and at 12 and 10 years of age, that won't be long.

My reply was, "you worked so hard to build it, and there are tons of bunnies in the shelter needing a new home. Would be a shame to waste your efforts". The look I got was pretty clear. No more rescue bunnies. LOL! We'll see. :)

Merry Christmas TJ. Miss chatting with you.
    Education Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 07:55 PM
    Yes to medical school. I am tired, so excuse the missing information, lol! The beag... she's the quietest we've ever had. No barking unless a neighbor's dog starts it. Our last one barked at birds, squirrels, bunnies, etc. No baying, either. She is so darn quiet.

And how did I get old enough to have a married kid? Seems like he was born yesterday! I miss all of the sports activities and traveling to the college football games. Oh well, that needed and the money goes in a different direction.

Scotties are very different dogs. They are aloof at times, very demanding, yet only truly love their owner. So, that would be the son away at school. Luckily, he is doing hospital rotations about an hour away, so he comes home now and then. It's funny how few Scotties are out here. He does look quite dapper with his plaid Christmas bow tie collar!

As for the hubby... maybe he'll change his mind? I missed my beag so much after we had to put him down. Remember how awful that was? We had the new beag within a week. It helped a lot. Not a replacement, but a companion for all of us.
    I get to assist on the drive home with the puppy. Hubby said that'll take hours. Of course! Who wouldn't want to smell the puppy breath?
    Hoping for a great new year! This one has to start better than last!!

I miss seeing you here. Not many teacher questions, at least that don't involve homework.
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2015, 12:58 AM
    It's pretty slow here lately, isn't it? Has been for a while now. Lots of plumbing questions. Sadly I'm not much help there, unless they want to be told to call a plumber. ;)

Puppy breath is the best. The puppy teeth however, I can live without. Those little suckers are sharp! Like little razor blades. Jake, the dog we're adopting from Brazil, is still a puppy, but not a young puppy. He's almost a year old. Looking forward to seeing all the dogs together, and of course Sydney with her very own pup. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2015, 07:02 AM
    It has been a long time on here. Over 10 years, almost 80,000 posts, been though a couple wives, a business and a move to China.

Saw a son graduate university, and watched another grow up to taller than me, during this time.

I got a new BS and Masters in Criminal Justice and Public Administration during this time and have started law studies in International Law.

Saw many of my dreams of travel come true and see more of the world, than I ever imaged.

Lost a lot of close friends during this time, I guess that happens at my age, and have missed the busy web site this used to be. And to be honest miss some of the money I made from it.

Of course many of you, have been web site buddies for much longer, going back almost 20 years now from some of the other QA sites. I am not here as much either, although I do get on, every two days normally.

This Christmas now really doing any personal celebration, having some University dinners and parties, along with one party at Church. But Nate will be off to see his money for 8 weeks, so it is a mix holiday, missing him also.
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2015, 02:30 PM
    You've had a lot of changes since I've known you Chuck, both personally, and spiritually, and they've all been amazing to see.

Since the move to China you've been the happiest I've ever known you to be, since I've known you. I love all the pictures you post on fb, and all the stories. It's so nice to see the culture without actually having to immerse myself in it.

Merry Christmas dear friend.
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2015, 10:47 PM
    I have to share this.

Rod just went to the grocery story, bought around $50 worth of groceries. He was hoping that his paycheque had gone in early. So he went to pay by debit, and it was declined. Went to pay by credit card, declined. So he asked the cashier to put the order on hold so he could run to the bank.

The guy behind him says, no need to, I got this, and pays for our groceries. Then the woman behind that man, hands Rod a Tim Hortons gift card for $25.

If that doesn't put you in the spirit, I don't know what will. And yes, once again I'm sitting here crying like a baby.

They say that this world is full of hatred, and ugliness, and people that no longer care. This past month we've experienced what people are all about, and trust me, they care. They're amazing. Every day I'm lifted by the kindness of strangers.

So Merry Christmas everyone. Be kind to one another, and remember that there are good people out there, and it all begins with you, and one random act of kindness. That one act can change the world. It all begins with you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Education Expert

Dec 24, 2015, 06:10 PM
    That's beautiful! I'm all for paying it forward. I have a lot of parent volunteers and sometimes I get to chat a bit with them. One told me that they were going to do charity work instead of presents this year because times were tough. I told my husband about her and he remembered how nice she was to drop off peaches to us during the summer a few years back. We bought them a gift card for dinner out and a grocery card. It felt so good to make someone else's life a little easier.
    P.S. I met the grandpuppy today. He's completely adorable.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2015, 07:47 PM
    I just realize I never said Merry Christmas to my friends on and reading this thread...
    Pets Expert

Dec 25, 2015, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    That's beautiful! I'm all for paying it forward. I have a lot of parent volunteers and sometimes I get to chat a bit with them. One told me that they were going to do charity work instead of presents this year because times were tough. I told my husband about her and he remembered how nice she was to drop off peaches to us during the summer a few years back. We bought them a gift card for dinner out and a grocery card. It felt so good to make someone else's life a little easier.
    P.S. I met the grandpuppy today. He's completely adorable.
    It's an amazing thing, isn't it TJ.

Jake, the dog we're adopting from Brazil, is coming here to us only because of the kindness of others.

The flight will cost us almost $1400 CDN, around $1000 USD. We can afford to care for another dog, but we can't afford to spend that to get him. So I started a gofundme page on FB. In less than two weeks we had raised the money, all because of the kindness of others. The majority of the people that donated are people I have never met in real life. Around half are people I wasn't even friends with on Facebook, but they also support the shelter where we're getting Jake from (they are now FB friends). One person, the biggest donation we got, $300 CDN, is someone I don't know, none of my FB friends know, isn't a part of the Shelter page. Just a stranger that saw our gofundme and decided to donate.

We planned to pay it forward on the 24th. Went out to do some shopping, stopped at Tim Hortons with the card we were given, ordered some hot chocolate. Tim Hortons is always busy, especially the drive through. We planned to pay for the order of the person behind us. No one! Not one car behind us. We even asked the teller to wait a few minutes to see if anyone would come along. No one! WTH? That's never ever happened!

Need pictures of the grandpuppy. Lots of pictures. If you're on FB you should friend me, then you can see tons of pictures and videos of everyone in our family, human, fur and feather. I tried posting pictures here, but for some reason most people couldn't see them, so I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I just realize I never said Merry Christmas to my friends on and reading this thread...
    Merry Christmas my friend. :)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 27, 2015, 12:45 PM
    Happy Boxing Day to my friends and neighbors in the North.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Merry Christmas to the ex. [ 26 Answers ]

So, for all that want to send a text and ask that question, I figured you could do it on this website instead, as it will only create confusion and break your healing process... I will start. Merry Christmas K. I hope you and your family have a wonderful and safe holiday season. I am a bit...

Merry Christmas [ 10 Answers ]

Just want to take this time to wish everyone on AMHD a very Merry Christmas. I hope Santa treats you well. And just for fun, here's a politically correct Christmas poem. Enjoy. :) T'was the night before Christmas and Santa's a wreck... How to live in a world that's politically...

Merry Christmas [ 9 Answers ]

Tomorrow is the day we celebrate the Birth of Jesus. Merry Christmas to all, and may the blessings of the LORD find you.

View more questions Search