Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    themisfitkitten Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Dec 22, 2015, 12:27 PM
    Recovering back pay from company in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy?
    (I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DOUBLE POST/QUESTION, THE SITE WAS ACTING UP AND NOT SHOWING THAT MY ORIGINAL ONE WAS POSTED)

Short version... I worked for a company for 5+ years that filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy this summer, and after a few weeks of delays on paydays and constant excuses, they eliminated my position for restructuring purposes. I was owed three weeks of pay that were promised both verbally and in my termination letter by middle of the first week of November.

I have received one week of pay, and also pay stubs showing the correct (original) pay dates as well, but I have not actually received those two weeks' worth of pay.

My state's labor laws require that an employer must pay any terminated employee (terminated for any reason: quit, fired, etc.) by the next scheduled payday (which would have been 11/14). I contacted the labor board and they said due to the bankruptcy they would not have any jurisdiction and I would have to seek private council. A friend had explained that if the company went under before paying me, the money owed would get rolled into the bankruptcy and it'd likely be years before I saw it, if ever.

Is there someone I should contact to ensure that I can get this back pay, or at the very least this DOES get shown as monies still owed to me as part of the bankruptcy? I'm concerned that since I was sent a paystub (just a stub--company had been issuing treasurers checks to ensure payment) showing that I received that pay, that it might not even be evident that I didn't receive it.

As a lawyer has been working with this company and a Trustee was recently appointed to this case, I feel like it should come up in their records but as I don't trust the company owner to be honest about anything, I'm concerned. I realize it's "only two weeks" of pay, but living paycheck to paycheck to begin with can be really thrown off when you unexpectedly stop getting paid. (I WAS, fortunately, able to open/collect on a UC claim, but... still. Plus, other employees there are still having pay issues and it's not right.)

Thanks in advance, and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, or an enjoyable remainder of December, however you celebrate (or don't)!

~tmk
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 01:50 PM
    Look into this, Will Employees Be Paid When a Company Declares Chapter 7 Bankruptcy?

And Priority Debts in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy | Nolo.com. Bottom line CONSULT an attorney.

The ehow link has other useful links also.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 22, 2015, 01:57 PM
    See if you can contact the Bankruptcy Court directly. Payroll is indeed first priority. And yes, I think you are being lied to.
    themisfitkitten Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Dec 22, 2015, 03:57 PM
    Thank you both for your very helpful answers! I always appreciate this site so much, even though it's been awhile since I've been on here. It's always a pleasure to get insight from other people in a more personal manner.

After so many years with the company and having tried so hard to help it flourish, I've felt slapped in the face but was still trying to give them some time to make things right, but a person can only take so much when they have absolutely no fault in the situation.

Thanks again, take care. :)
    ~tmk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is pay back under Chapter 7 Reaffirmation legal [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the middle or near the end of my bankruptcy and the trustee has said they were not interested in the 4 wheeler and I have 6 months to pay back he 1900 dollar value of the vehicle is that legal ?

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy, what can my 2nd mortgage company do if I stop paying it [ 2 Answers ]

We filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2010. Our first mortgage is $190k, our 2nd is $90k. We didn't reaffirm our 2nd mortgage. We want to keep our house. We're not eligible for chapter 13 for another 3 years and by then our house value will probably increase and we won't be eligible for chapter 13....

During chapter 13 bankruptcy receive inheritance, opt out of bankruptcy and pay off? [ 3 Answers ]

I am six months into a chapter 13 bankruptcy and I have received an inheritance. My bankruptcy is about 60% payout of my total debt of $90K. My inheritance is about 50% of what I owe. Should I opt out of the bankruptcy and try to negotiate with the credit card companies for a payoff for about 50%...

Do I have to pay back disability company monies I receive from SS for back pay [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what to do. I just received SS after applying for 5 years. I just received my back pay from SS as well. Now, the disability company that was paying me wants 100% of my back pay and my son's dependent check as well. I thought this was protected under 42 USC Sec 407 (a). ...

View more questions Search