Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dennis9903 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2015, 07:12 AM
    Closure a Unfinished Construction Project
    Hello,

My name is Dennis and I am a owner of the house. I hired a contractor to build my house. Due to many issues with this constractor, I wanted to discontinue working with them. What should I do if I want to close a contract with this contractor? How do I transition this unfinished project to a new contractor? Please help!

Thank you,
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 07:40 AM
    Just for clarity what are the issues with this contractor that cause your conflicts?

It's not a small thing nor a cheap decision to break a contract and getting another contractor who may well charge even more to follow upon work already done. Be great if you had a knowledgeable experienced friend to air your grievances, or legal counsel to review your contract. That's where I would start, with expert advice and have facts and not frustrated feeling to make such a HUGE decision.

On it's face, no one can say if this guy is so wrong, and you right without a lot more details.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2015, 08:36 AM
    You didn't give us much to go on except "issues". Are these contract breaking issues, just not happy? Remember, a contract, if properly constructed and signed, is a legal document and has force of law behind it. Are you ready and financially prepared to possibly fight this in court? How about some more detail as to the issues. In the last house we built, I had "issues" too. However, the builder, because of the written contract, tore out all the existing walls and rebuilt them "per contract". Cost him a lot of $$$.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 08:25 PM
    You will have to prove that this contractor is in breach of his written contract with you.

And that you have informed him in writing of this breach, and that he has failed to correct such problems.

So what areas has he broken the contract with you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Project I need help post construction. [ 0 Answers ]

I got my fist opportunity to bid on a retail project in Atlanta. The facility is 7000 square feet. The contractor needs the tile floor serviced along with the F & P(?) in the bathrooms . He has the sealer for the floor but wants us to apply it. After that he wants the floor waxed and windows...

Estimate of small construction project [ 1 Answers ]

I hired a contractor to gut a room damaged by water. This included, removing paneling, and drywall. The contract called for tear out existing paneling, drywall and insulation. Remove all debris, install new drywall and tape, paint one prime coat, paint one coat of paint, choice of color, re-use...

How to figure 18% of construction project [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my home. I am using a general contractor. He has told me that to keep things honest he straight line charges 18% onto all invoices. Now that I have the contractors statement the numbers don't line up. How would the real person get the 18% of the total bill of $239,540.18?? He...

How to calculate profit margin % for ongoing construction project? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, How do I come up with the % of profit margin in a specific month or period of an ongoing construction project that may have revisions along the way? I'm using the cumulative catchup method. I know the costs, revenue, profits, etc, to date and for total project. This may be a simple...

View more questions Search