Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RandomUsername3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2015, 11:28 PM
    Wolf Prey?
    This is an awfully specific question, with a weird reason...

I'm writing a story about wolves, and their camp sits very close to a city, so their camp is next to the dump. I'm not exactly sure how dumps work, but I have it as a place where the city dumps their trash. Sounds silly when I say it...

Anyway, I wasn't sure what their diet would be. Their neighboring pack lives in a forest, so they have minimal forest territory to live on. For prey, they often use a hole in the fence to hunt rats and some snakes in the dump. Occasionally, they go into the forest and catch whatever small creatures they can get.

I was just wondering, does any of this make sense? Would you even find snakes in a dump? I suppose it doesn't make sense that they would use the dump more often than the forest...

Anyway, real question is: What kind of prey would they actually find in this situation?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 21, 2015, 11:54 PM
    Depends on the location. The prey will differ from country to country. I'm in Canada, tons of forests around. The wolves here prey mainly on rabbits and mice, the occasional deer.

So where do these wolves of yours live?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 05:25 AM
    Wolves, or coyotes will not hunt in a dump. There are both of these predators in my area, including the coywolf. Some areas are wiped clean of small dogs and cats, squirrels. Urban areas are heavily populated now with coyotes and coywolves.

Wolves will prey on large animals who are separated from others because of illness, old age, disability, or injury.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 06:12 AM
    It is possible, but only at a few dump locations. In upstate NY for example bears often go into the dumps.

First you need to learn how dumps work, for example, you need to visit local dumps, talk to manager, see if you can get a tour.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 22, 2015, 06:22 AM
    There's no point in people here re-writing all you can find on both subjects (and yes, location in the world, and within a country, is important). So start googling in depth, or your story won't have any facts behind it.

Where I live, coywolves are everywhere, so research them too. And if you are in the US, even small town dumps are now 'transfer stations,' with all trash separated into types, with one hopper crushing what can't be recycled. Once in a blue moon a dog jumps in ours and can't get out, that's it. The coywolves stay away, even though they are right nearby.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2015, 08:18 AM
    You want to write about wolves? Forget hanging out in a dump. Try the deep woods that has game.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wolf and Crow [ 1 Answers ]

In my childhood I watched a movie which had a man who turned into a wolf and a woman who turned into a crow and they both tend to turn into these animals at different times. There was a mere second when they both sea each other in human form at the same time and somehow they were supposed to stay...

Movie based on Michael Crichton's novel "Prey". [ 34 Answers ]

I'm reading the book now. I KNOW that I've seen a movie based on it, but there's nothing at imdb.com or wikipedia.org about it. I do, though, see that Fox got the movie rights for it back in 2002 (source) but nowhere can I find what the name of the movie was. Can any of you tell me what...

What is an example of Predator Prey in the Grasslands [ 0 Answers ]

Grassland, predator, prey

Prey that was to become extinct? What would happen to the predator? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused:Say that any prey no matter what was completely extinct, what would happen to it's predator? Would it eventually become devasting to the whole animal kingdom? Please help me someone I can't find any info anywhere!

View more questions Search