Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wchjd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2015, 07:17 PM
    Question about F1 visa for contractor, 1099 Misc to report tax
    Hi,

I am very anxious about this problem. I got an intern from a company and applied for CPT for it through our international student center. I got a supervisor and went through the same interviewing/hiring process. However, I just knew that this intern position is counted as a contractor and I would receive 1099-Misc to report tax.

Would this cause any problems to my future H1b and green card application? Is it a violation of my F1 visa status? Because I heard some people said that contractor is a technical violation of F1 visa status.

Thanks.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 22, 2016, 11:20 AM
    No violation, as a CPT, you earn $$ and have to pay taxes, that's correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about F1 visa CPT for 1099-Misc [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am very anxious about this problem. I got an intern from a company and applied for CPT for it through our international student center. I got a supervisor and went through the same interviewing/hiring process. However, I just knew that this intern position is counted as a contractor and I...

Can someone with a F1 work visa receive a 1099-MISC tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone with a F1 student visa be paid as an independent contractor and thus receive a 1099-MISC at the end of the year? We will be using the individual for a 3 month project and plans call for her to be paid as a contract worker and not as an employee. Here supervisor is asking whether this...

1099 contractor tax question [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I started working as an independent contractor last November and never thought Of the fact that being a 1099 contractor would mean different tax obligations. I received one paycheck for this totaling 1980 in December and was sent a 1099-Misc For this. I didn't know about estimated...

1099 Misc And F1 Visa , 8843 form ? Tax Payment [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Georgia and I have a F-1 visa. I got 1099 MISC form a month ago . Box number 7 is filled only. My question is that 1)Should I fill out Form 8843? What is the advantage of filling this form? 2) Also, Should I fill out State 500 form? What is the advantage of filling this form?

1099-MISC tax form for F-1 visa student [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all- I'm a new member here, and have a question about 1099-MISC tax form. I'm actually on my student F-1 visa, during the year 2008, I have a part time job as a music instructor. The music school sent me a 1099-MISC and I have earned about under 3500 and which was documented in box 7. I...

View more questions Search