Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Dec 17, 2015, 05:21 PM
    Split Plugs / 2-15amp Breakers
    Kitchen has Split Plugs.. Wife had plugged into 2 separate plugs, Breakers Blew.. Two 15 amp Breakers Joined Popped... Clicked Breakers Off / On , No Resistance , doesn't seem to Click On / Stay On.. Would that mean the Breakers are Toast , having to be Replaced?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2015, 07:31 PM
    What do you mean by "Two 15 amp Breakers joined Popped"... That would indicate a 240 VAC breaker. If there are no GFCI's, it would indicate an older house, probably with a split neutral. Can you explain exactly what breaker tripped? BTW, make sure you push the breakers all the way OFF and then back on. Just flipping a tripped breaker without resetting will not put the breaker ON.

Dec 17, 2015, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    What do you mean by "Two 15 amp Breakers joined Popped"... That would indicate a 240 VAC breaker. If there are no GFCI's, it would indicate an older house, probably with a split neutral. Can you explain exactly what breaker tripped? BTW, make sure you push the breakers all the way OFF and then back on. Just flipping a tripped breaker without resetting will not put the breaker ON.

Brand Name is Commander.. 2 regular 15 amp breakers joined by a bar across the On / Off Switch.. Wife had used the 2 wall plugs on the same wall about 6' apart. Why I don't know but she had one Induction Hot Plate plugged in and then when she had plugged in the 2nd IHP to the other Wall Plug a Breaker Popped.. Upon investigation the Breaker as mentioned was Popped , attempts to Click Back On not working... Made sure to Click all the way Off then On to No Avail..
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2015, 10:37 AM
    replace breaker, add dedicated 20 ampere outlets to kitchen...
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2015, 11:12 AM
    I agree with hf. Replace breakers for a start. If you are going to up amps from 15 to 20 make sure that the wire was is 12 gauge not 14. 14 gauge is rated for 15 amps. If you was it on a 20amp circuit there is a very good potential to cause a fire.

Chuck
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 18, 2015, 12:07 PM
    The current electrical require no less than two 20 amp GFCI protected branch circuits for kitchen counter receptacles.

If as you describe, two breakers with a handle joining them then you either have a 240 volt circuit, which will fry any U.S. kitchen appliance. Not to mention, that if it is a 240V circuit, no U.S. appliance will be able to plug into the receptacle without an adapter.

Or, you have a Multiwire Branch Circuit, which is very dangerous for kitchen counter receptacle, not to mention a code violation.

You need to either get several bids from Licensed Electricians to rewire you kitchen counter receptacles.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 18, 2015, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post

Or, you have a Multiwire Branch Circuit, which is very dangerous for kitchen counter receptacle, not to mention a code violation.
    A MWBC is not very dangerous. I'm not sure why you would make this misleading statement. In fact, the OP is from Canada where I believe they were code required for kitchen receptacles for a long time.

Dec 18, 2015, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    A MWBC is not very dangerous. I'm not sure why you would make this misleading statement. In fact, the OP is from Canada where I believe they were code required for kitchen receptacles for a long time.

I picked up a BQL 2 Pole Breaker 15 Amp... The Wiring to the Breaker (1) Ground is paired with a bunch of other Ground Wires (2) White Wire is into the Grounding Bar (3) Black Wire is into the Rightside Breaker (4) Red Wire is into the Leftside Breaker...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2015, 06:13 PM
    Yes, typical split neutral but I would not connect the two breakers, gives an unknowing person the illusion that the circuit is 240VAC. You could have used 2 single 15 Amp.

Dec 18, 2015, 06:19 PM
    Yes, typical split neutral but I would not connect the two breakers, gives an unknowing person the illusion that the circuit is 240VAC. You could have used 2 single 15 Amp.

My Concern is whether the Breaker has become Toast since it doesn't seem to Click On as it should.. As I mentioned previously how the wiring is placed, the existing Breakers are joined with a Bar across the On / Off Switch...
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 19, 2015, 07:39 AM
    In the US at least two-pole or tied breaker is required by code these days, so two untied SP breakers is not an option.
    Besides, who cares if someone get's the impression that it's 240V? What would that matter?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 19, 2015, 12:10 PM
    Make sure that breakers are indeed off. Press firmly to off position. I once came across a breaker that was tripped and appeared to off, wouldn't reset until I pressed it firmly to the off position. Don't remember brand. Highly doubt breaker is defective.

Of course you should unplug everything that is on those circuits before trying to reset. May be some device that is causing breaker to trip.

Dec 19, 2015, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Make sure that breakers are indeed off. Press firmly to off position. I once came across a breaker that was tripped and appeared to off, wouldn't reset until I pressed it firmly to the off position. Don't remember brand. Highly doubt breaker is defective.

Of course you should unplug everything that is on those circuits before trying to reset. May be some device that is causing breaker to trip.

We were very Gentlemanly about it Refraining from any Colorful Language, even switching hands while Flicking the On / Off Switch back and forth several times applying pressure carefully.. lol.. Considering since the Original Panel & Breaker Mfg. are now Defunct and (40+ yrs since installation).. Changed Out Breaker , All is Good and Wife is Happy we're back in Business.. Cheers Thanks..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plugs do not work in bathroom but light does. How do I fix the plugs? [ 2 Answers ]

I changed out one plug and turned the breaker back on. Did not help it is a dual breaker with on one on and off switch for both. Please help me solve this problem.

Ford f250 turbo diesel glow plugs how do I test glow plugs? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I test glow plugs?

Can I Split a 40amp breaker need to 2- 20Amp breakers and still get my 208V? [ 7 Answers ]

I need to install a new water heater - (Stiebel Eltron DHC 10-2 Electric Tankless Water Heater) for the use of a few commercial kitchen sinks. I am in an electrical supply of 208v 3phase panel. The required breaker according to the specs of this heater is 40amps and the breakers on this panel are...

Attempting to install GFCI circuit breakers (3 wires for 2 breakers) [ 6 Answers ]

OK here is my situation I have a Siemens box in my home I'm installing GFCI breakers to bring it up to code for insurance purposes Only thing is 4 rooms in this home are for some reason wired together on 3 wires (red black and white) connected to two separate breakers (30 Amps each) (two rooms...

View more questions Search