Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snowsnake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2015, 03:35 PM
    US appliance burnt out on UK electricity
    I connected a US appliance to the UK electricity and it seems I have burnt it out. Smoke & smell!

I have since bought a step down converter, but all too little too late it seems.

Can my appliance be fixed?

It is an electric water filter.
    Waterlogic WL-3101 Firewall Hybrid Home Water Purifier

stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 15, 2015, 05:13 PM
    What did you think would happen when you plugged an appliance that is supposed to run on 120V into a 220V supply?? How did you even plug it in? The plugs are different.

Can it be fixed? How are we supposed to know. We know nothing about it or what happened? This is like saying "My car died. Can it be fixed?"

If you can provide a little more detail maybe someone can help. I'd say your best bet is to contact the manufacturer. Many times small appliances like this cannot be repaired.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2015, 06:28 PM
    My guess would be no. Too much voltage. As Stan asked, how did you plug it in without a converter?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2015, 06:34 PM
    Trust me... seen it before..(lived overseas for a number of years and saw a lot of new arrivals make that mistake). surprisingly a lot of people think if you can get the right plug adapter (thats how they did it) it will work because some electronics have switching supplies that work with a wide range of voltages.

Problem.. as they just discovered. A lot of items don't.

Maybe they got lucky and just had a fuse blow...but I'm guessing its a lot more serious. Could easily cost more to fix than replace the item.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2015, 09:38 PM
    Happens every semester here with new teachers, hair dryers, small electronics.

Without someone in a shop looking at it, if there was an internal fuse or if merely a wire burnt that can be replaced?

But most likely it fried every electronic circuit in it and is not much use now.

Here in China they do have a two prong outlet that simple things can plug into, but it is all 240 (or so) anywayl
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 19, 2015, 12:19 PM
    Smoke & smell!
    That says no, it can't be repaired. At least says it would cost more to repair than to replace.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2015, 11:14 PM
    All electric devices run on smoke, not electricity.
    When the smoke runs out, the device quits working.
    Understand?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 20, 2015, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    All electric devices run on smoke, not electricity.
    When the smoke runs out, the device quits working.
    Understand?
    Magic smoke. It's MAGIC smoke.
    You forgot to mention that.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2015, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Magic smoke. It's MAGIC smoke.
    You forgot to mention that.
    It was told to me many years ago by one of my HVAC techs... I'd forgotten the magic part.
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burnt fingers [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I burnt my fingers by grabbing a tray out of the oven with an oven mitten and it slipped and I burnt my finger. What to do I have run my fingers for about 20 minutes under cold water now 3 hrs later they r still stinging even after taking pain killers. There is a small blister which is white and...

Changing from a 240 volt appliance to a 208 volt appliance [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing an old electric range (240v) to a newer electric range (208v). Will I need new wiring, a bigger breaker, different outlet or all the above? Or should it work with the same wiring as the older unit?

I'm burnt out [ 9 Answers ]

I'm only 21 and I already had a major depressive episode, been through hypomania, and recently just literally BURNT OUT because of stress, my foreheads been burning for 2 months and my vision is starting to blur, I have never been so depressed and I don't know how to find a way out now.

I burnt eggs in a non stick pan and burnt the bottom how do I clean it [ 3 Answers ]

I burnt the inside botton of a non stick teflon pan while cooking eggs.what can I do to clean the pan

Burnt carpet [ 2 Answers ]

"What percent can i be charged on new carpet that had to be replace due to a burned in the carpet in my son's room." Teacherf, You're in the wrong area for this question.

View more questions Search