Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 14, 2015, 06:43 PM
    A Christmas miracle
    Some of you, those that are friends on Facebook, know that we recently decided to adopt a dog from Brazil, from an incredible rescue there called Dogs in Brazil. They rescue mainly street dogs. Right now they have 63 dogs in their care, 31 young enough and health enough to be able to travel and be adopted, those that can't will live their lives in this rescue, and be loved and cared for until the very end. Please check them out if you're looking to adopt. Even if you're not looking to adopt, please check them out, they're an amazing rescue run by a husband and wife team. What they do for these dogs is nothing short of amazing. They rely on donations in order to do what they do. Can you imagine the time and cost to care for 63 dogs every day? What they do is nothing short of amazing. How many times have I said amazing now? Anyway, we decided to adopt Jake, a little terrier mix, around 10 pounds soaking wet. For a little dog like him, Brazil is especially dangerous. Too many things there that could kill him. Poisonous lizards and frogs, ticks, birds of prey, and the list goes on. Little Jake needed to leave Brazil ASAP! Also, he's a black dog. In Brazil black dogs are Satan incarnate, sad but true. They're tortured, abused, and left to die, if not outright killed. DIB has rescued dogs that were hacked with a machete, dogs with holes in their ears large enough to put a fist in, filled with maggots (the picture is something you can never unsee), puppies with severe mange and a broken leg left on the side of the road to die a slow painful death and so much more, things you never thought people would do to an animal. No dog is turned away. Our little Jake was found on the side of the road with a case of severe mange (there are a few types, his is the type that's contagious, but once cured will not come back unless he's in a situation where he's exposed and has a low immune system again), his legs tied, a cola bottle around his neck, left to die. He also survived Parvo. We fell in love with him from the pictures and videos DIB (Dogs in Brazil) posted. We knew he'd fit in very well with our pack, and be safe here with us in Canada. But the cost to get him here (airfare and crate) was more than we could afford. $1000USD, around $1370CDN. So we started a gofundme page, and hoped for the best. Well, it's been a week and we have all the funds! How? That's the incredible part. Many people I've friended over the years on this site, people I friended on Facebook, people I've never met in person, donated. Even more amazing, people I don't know at all, in any way, never even talked to, donated, all supporters of DIB. Then there's the one donation that baffles me. The other day I got a donation from someone for $300! She asked to be anonymous on the gofundme page, but I get an email telling me who donated. I searched and searched, thinking she must be a DIB supporter, or a friend of a friend, or connected somehow to someone I know, or a group I'm in on Facebook. But no. She's a complete stranger! Can you believe that? A complete stranger donated $300 so we could bring Jake to live with us. If that doesn't shock you, I don't know what will. This has been an incredible journey. It started with our will to get Jake to us somehow. When I started the gofundme page I thought we'd raise a bit of money, but that we'd have to find a way to get the majority ourselves, something we weren't really equipped to handle. I was preparing myself for a disappointment but hoping for the best, for a miracle. WE GOT OUR MIRACLE! This time of year, Christmas, is both a blessing and a curse to many. So many people struggle to make it through this time of year. So many people struggle to be happy because it's expected. It's a time when we talk about giving to others, talk about good will towards men. But too often we're struggling ourselves. Spending way too much on Christmas presents, stressing because our homes aren't perfectly decorated or show home quality, or there aren't enough gifts under the tree based on what TV has set the standards to. We miss our loved ones that are no longer with us, and may face these holidays alone in depression. Unless you're a child, and even then it's touch and go, Christmas is stressful for most people. Well, my family asked for help during the most stressful time of year! And guess what? We got it! Jake is coming home to us, and that's amazing, and we can't wait to give him the life he deserves. Even more amazing, the people that pitched in to make this happen! It's a miracle! Throughout the years I've become jaded, lost my faith in humanity. So many bad things on the news, so many evils that people do to each other and animals. So much pain, so much to cry over. But this experience has renewed my faith in humanity. Together we can accomplish everything! If we work together, no goal is unattainable, no mountain is too high! If you urge people to take action, if you ask people for help, they will step up, because there are so many good people out there. The good far outweigh the bad. You just have to step up, even if you feel you don't have a lot to offer, just step up! We got our Christmas miracle this year! It can happen! Jake is coming home to us, and he'll be loved until his last days on earth. And because of this experience, I'm going to do everything I can to make someone else's miracle happen. Just imagine what we can do if we all pool together? It's not a dream, it can happen! I'm living proof! So Merry Christmas to all of you! Never stop believing in miracles, they happen every day! MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Pets Expert

Dec 14, 2015, 07:03 PM
    What's going on with AMHD?

I wrote this, added spaces, because I hate one long run on post which is what this has turned into. Why did it post like this? I had spaces!

Also, I'm being kicked out every few minutes, having to log in again.

I reported my own post. Please fix it so it looks the way I posted it. Pretty please. This is one big mess. I wouldn't read it, and I wrote it!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2015, 03:09 PM
    I didnt even see this until today. Im glad things worked out for you. You never can tell when Santa's elves are lurking about. Im glad you found your strength again to believe in what many have lost along the way.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 17, 2015, 08:57 PM
    Oh Alty, how wonderful!! What a blessing. Can't wait to see pictures of the family!!
    Pets Expert

Dec 19, 2015, 04:33 PM
    Thanks! We're truly blessed.

Now the only obstacle is figuring out paypal, filling out paperwork. But we'll figure it out. :)

Little Jake could be here in less than two weeks! :)
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jan 4, 2017, 09:46 AM
    I should mention that I have adopted a dog from the same rescue. Her name is Ava and she looks like a daschound mix. She had a rough start to life and is now a princess in the house. Owen loves her too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As Christmas is near I am searching for unique Christmas package labels. Can somebody [ 1 Answers ]

I am searching for unique Christmas Package Labels to make my more elegant and special.

I set a box of Miracle Grow on top of my table saw. The Miracle grow got on top of m [ 6 Answers ]

I set a box of Miracle Grow on top of my table saw and it stained the alumunium. Any way to clean this up?

Your Top Christmas Carols & Christmas Songs [ 38 Answers ]

Ok it's that time of year when the holidays are around :) and I was just thinking what are people's top Carols or Chritmas songs that they like? Christmas songs for me would be The Pogues, Fairytale of New York ;) and my Christmas Carol would have to be Joy To The World :) ! Please feel...

View more questions Search