Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 13, 2015, 11:21 AM
    Real Estate Question
    Had a contract to sell home in SC the buyer has apparently walked away from the settlement on this coming Monday. Do they lose their earnest money? Does this come to me automatically or do I have to get a lawyer and sue for same?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 13, 2015, 02:30 PM
    You are supposed to get it. Is it the deposit (often $500) or the down payment (3 to 20%)?
    Who has it in escrow?
    Did you do this sale without a lawyer?
    By this coming Monday, do you mean tomorrow?
    Were all parts of the agreement met? Inspection, loan, title search, and final walk through? The last 2 are done literally the day before closing, usually.
    I once had a closing get delayed because the next to last lender had failed to release the lien. They couriered it to the closing (had the gall to try to make us pay for it).
    Many questions..

Aside from releasing loan liens, there is a common cloud on titles involving death of a spouse who was on the deed but the deed was never probated.
    THAT can delay a closing by 6 weeks or more!

I have a friend who had every right to keep all the earnest money, but it was a lot, and the buyers wanted it back... seems they had a mafia lawyer. My friend's lawyer begged him to let her give it back. So he did....

Legal stuff doesn't always move as smoothly as we hope.

Dec 13, 2015, 02:38 PM
    No, everything was done with a lawyer. The only thing is the lender will not release the loan package because the wife has had second thoughts. Yes, tomorrow it was supposed to happen. The Husband and the grown kids want to go forward, wife says no.. Settlement has been canceled. Realtor is putting house back on active.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 13, 2015, 02:47 PM
    Second thoughts don't get earnest money back.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2015, 03:04 PM
    Force the issue and demand the earnest money, that is only fair for you. You could have lost other offers because the house was on MLS as "Under contract"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2015, 09:35 PM
    And what happens to the money is listed in the sales agreement that they signed with the Realtor. Normally it means you keep all money, if they back out. The Realtor should have the money in escrow account pending the closing, (not the lender) so the Realtor should release it to you.

Dec 13, 2015, 11:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And what happens to the money is listed in the sales agreement that they signed with the Realtor. Normally it means you keep all money, if they back out. The Realtor should have the money in escrow account pending the closing, (not the lender) so the Realtor should release it to you.
    Right now, I will have to see what is up today. The scheduled settlement was canceled and maybe there will be a change of heart and the deal will go through later this month, right now I don't know.

Dec 14, 2015, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    Right now, I will have to see what is up today. The scheduled settlement was canceled and maybe there will be a change of heart and the deal will go through later this month, right now I don't know.
    Update: Realtor just sent me a release from the contract and I am supposed to get the earnest money and the house is now actively back on the market. As soon as the buyers signs the same release.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real estate law question [ 1 Answers ]

If neighbor placed a chain link fence on property and post are on property line but the link fence is on my property does she have the right to spray weed killer through and kill my grass and dog? In Virginia in country sub-division

Real Estate question [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a duplex about 7 years ago and I'm considering selling, but I have some questions first. When I made the purchase I remember my cpa asking if I planned on keeping the property for 10 years, something to do with how he was going to depreciate it on taxes. I answered yes, because at...

Real estate question [ 1 Answers ]

Variables Good A Good B Good C Price (P) 6 8 3 Quantity (Q) 100 100 300 Total wage (W) 250 390 150 Interest cost (I) 50 50 550 Transportation (t) 0.20 0.40 0.15 Question1: A. What will be produced where if only good A and B are produced? B. What would be the impact of the transportation...

Real estate question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. In 2006, happily married, my husband and I purchased a home in Hawaii. 2008, we stopped making payments and the home went into the foreclosure process in April 2011. Sept 2011, my happy marriage came to an end and we got our divorce. Oct 27, 2011 my ex husband gave me a 45 days to vacate letter...

Commercial Real Estate Question [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter deposits her check in the local office mail slot of her landlord. The checks are dated and delivered the first of each month, however, the landlords' agent does not either pick them up or deposit them immediately. Now my daughter is being assessed late fees for rental checks delivered...

View more questions Search