Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 11, 2015, 05:44 PM
    November update
    The November update for Win 10 is apparently causing all kinds of problems. Our big all-in-one seems to have been killed by it. Anyone have any restoration tricks? I'm having trouble getting the command prompt up when powering up, even.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 12, 2015, 03:09 AM
    I too have one of those! Dell Inspiron 3043. It died completely about 4 days ago, after sounds got extremely slow. All I could detect was that the power adapter wasn't even warm, despite the green light being on. I thought I might need a new adapter. Then yesterday, I tried using it again, and it's fine. (I have an old notebook with several sticky keys I can use meanwhile.)

The all in one was never totally 'fine' - the touch screen and mouse options would frequently stop working, one or the other. Rebooting fixes that for a while.

The Dell website allows for an online diagnostic. I'm not sure if you have to still be under warranty or not. It will tell you when you enter the tag code. There is some warranty til about 20 months.
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 12, 2015, 03:58 AM
    Ours is a Lenovo touch screen. I'll try their website
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 12, 2015, 10:44 AM
    You may need to reinstall your OEM drivers. Are you on Win10 now ? They just had a super update that went out and it revised alot of things. If you had make changes before the update make sure those changes are still in place.

Also if you havent done one lately be sure to do a defrag and clean any old files out that were tied to the old system like cookies temp files etc.
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 12, 2015, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    They just had a super update that went out and it revised alot of things.
    That's what killed the Lenovo. I'm scared we've lost the motherboard, Cat can't even get the BIOS to boot now.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 12, 2015, 08:50 PM
    It killed our HP. Dead! Motherboard needed replacement so we had to get a new computer. Ugh!
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 13, 2015, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    That's what killed the Lenovo. I'm scared we've lost the motherboard, Cat can't even get the BIOS to boot now.

What exactly do you see when you power on the machine? Also have you tried leaving it on for an extended time even though it appears to be doing nothing or have a black screen ?

Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    It killed our HP. Dead! Motherboard needed replacement so we had to get a new computer. Ugh!

I find it hard to believe that an update killed off the motherboard. The only update that could cause that would be one that updates the bios and it was done incorrectly. Even in that case the motherboard should be able to be resurected.

Did a qualified tech make this diagnosis ?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 13, 2015, 07:57 AM
    Okay, cdad, it's my computer that died.

Update acted like an upgrade. Machine had no problems upgrading to 10 but 1511 caused all of the major issues some were complaining about from the 10 upgrade. Start menu, Cortana, Edge, just about everything that was win 10 app-based including the calculator disappeared. Was running extremely slow. Checked task manager. Under processes, it showed 100% usage of the disk. Tried shutting down and restarting, problems still there. While looking for solutions to the issues, left it for about an hour, computer went to sleep and would not wake up. The reading disk light was not flashing. Left it alone for over an hour and still nothing. Finally turned off the computer.

Present day, when I turn it on, it starts as usual with all lights flashing and fan turning on. After that the only lights on are power and monitor. Reading disk, Wi-Fi, etc. are dark. Have left it on for two hours, watching and waiting. Nothing. Not even the backlighting for the monitor.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 13, 2015, 09:00 AM
    So my Dell, having the same slowdown and death, revived after being unplugged for 4 days (possible MS fix in an update when I started it?), now has been 'fine' for 24 hours... sounds like a Windows problem combined with machine specific problems.

https://windowsforum.com/threads/pro...update.216153/
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 14, 2015, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Okay, cdad, it's my computer that died.

Update acted like an upgrade. Machine had no problems upgrading to 10 but 1511 caused all of the major issues some were complaining about from the 10 upgrade. Start menu, Cortana, Edge, just about everything that was win 10 app-based including the calculator disappeared. Was running extremely slow. Checked task manager. Under processes, it showed 100% usage of the disk. Tried shutting down and restarting, problems still there. While looking for solutions to the issues, left it for about an hour, computer went to sleep and would not wake up. The reading disk light was not flashing. Left it alone for over an hour and still nothing. Finally turned off the computer.

Present day, when I turn it on, it starts as usual with all lights flashing and fan turning on. After that the only lights on are power and monitor. Reading disk, Wi-Fi, etc. are dark. Have left it on for two hours, watching and waiting. Nothing. Not even the backlighting for the monitor.
    Just for the sake of trying it have you tried to connect it to another monitor? It may be that the machine set itself up for an external monitor. I have seen this before. Also using you Fn keys make sure the brightness is turned up incase it was reset.

Try the FN keys first before trying another monitor.
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 14, 2015, 04:48 PM
    Just for the sake of trying it have you tried to connect it to another monitor?.
    It's an All-in-one.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 15, 2015, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    It's an All-in-one.

The all in ones I have seen still have a hdmi port (out) on them for multiple monitor setups. Is your brand different ?

Did you try turning up the brightness ?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 16, 2015, 10:10 AM
    The all in ones I have seen still have a hdmi port (out) on them for multiple monitor setups. Is your brand different ?

Did you try turning up the brightness ?
    Tried both, no change.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2015, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Tried both, no change.

Time to have a professional look at it and see what is going on.
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 16, 2015, 04:40 PM
    Time to have a professional look at it and see what is going on.
    Thanks for trying
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 16, 2015, 09:33 PM
    We had a computer guy come out. It's dead. Coincidence? Who knows. Hubby is downloading Windows 10 on the new one. Lots of problems. Time for a Mac.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2015, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    We had a computer guy come out. It's dead. Coincidence? Who knows. Hubby is downloading Windows 10 on the new one. Lots of problems. Time for a Mac.

Bite your tongue !!!!! A mac is very expensive.

I wish I was closer and then I would know for sure what exactly is going on. On all the machines I have updated from very old (9 years) to brand spanking new I have never run accross this problem. The only thing I have seen is that some of the updates have done weird things with the graphics cards. Mostly changing to weird settings but not anything that couldnt be dealt with.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 17, 2015, 03:11 PM
    Mine is dead too. It's not a laptop or an all-in-one, but an old fashioned desktop. Dead as a door nail.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 17, 2015, 05:51 PM
    Mine is an iPad, not new but comfortable. Wil not accept some apps. Lost my skype on the last up date and skype support not helpful and sent me in circles! Son in Germany wanted me to download Google talk. Not possible on iPad. Thinking depending on my old HP laptop now.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 17, 2015, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Mine is dead too. It's not a laptop or an all-in-one, but an old fashioned desktop. Dead as a door nail.

What is wrong with yours? What is it doing ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My girl friend is 27 years. Her last period on 9th November. On the 10th November I h [ 4 Answers ]

My girl friend is 27 years. Her last period on 9th November. On the 10th November I have slightly penetrate but before ejaculation I have take it off. On the 13th she had pineapple pieces. She doesn’t like to take any pill. How can she avoid the pregnancy naturally? What kind of foods she has to...

Had unprotected sex on November 5th and November 12th. But both time I used pill. [ 8 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex on November 5th and November 12th. But both time I took pill. My periods was due on 18th November and its over. But I noticed, after starting periods, some liquid things coming out from my breasts. Is it a symbol of pregnant? Can I be pregnant?

Window vista update (KB968389) is a bad update, how can I update my vista? [ 2 Answers ]

August 11, 2009 window vista update KB968389 is a bad update for my computer. After trying to install it, my configuration only gets to 3 out of 3 and 0% then keeps on restarting over and over. It won't stop restarting unless I turn my computer off. I had to do a restore to my drives to get it...

View more questions Search