Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2015, 11:07 AM
    How to quantify blood pressure increase or decrease
    Hi all.

Is there a way to say "how much" blood pressure changed between two readings?

Example:
    Reading 1: 135/89
    Reading 2: 141/91

Is there a number that represents how much higher (X times, or X percent) the 2nd reading is?

Is there a formula?

Thanks!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 11, 2015, 12:03 PM
    I was told that the small fluctuation isn't the main thing, and the RANGE is what's important.

What is a normal reading on a blood pressure chart? | Get.Smarter.com

Your two examples seems kind of high.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2015, 02:57 PM
    How much time between readings? Did you rest 4 minutes before reading?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 11, 2015, 03:52 PM
    What was the activity level prior to the two readings?
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2015, 07:24 PM
    Thanks, Tal, ma and J!

I'm really asking a "medical math" question. I gave example readings.

My BP was high at my bi annual physical- very unusual for me. The Dr said to come in every 3-4 days to have it tested. Bunk. I bought a good reader and am checking it twice a day to cover active and inactive times.

I'm really just asking if there is such a term (mathematically speaking) to say "how much" higher or lower one reading is from another. I know that many factors can influence the reading; I'm just looking for a number (the math geek in me) that will represent how much higher or lower one reading is from another.

Is there a formula that will fill in for x in
    "reading 2 is x% higher than reading 1"?
    or even
    "reading 1 (or reading 2) is X above 120/80"

... haha, yeah I know:

OCD, PhD.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2015, 03:41 AM
    No Rick, we don't live in a perfect world and you will not find a mathematical formula to tell you that. Resting blood pressure reading is what you are supposed to go by because when you are physically more active through the day, your blood pressure will naturally go up but stay at a safe level. Of course if you live under a rock your blood pressure would be 120/40 until you exert yourself turning over, then it would go up.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2015, 10:54 AM
    Right. I have a medical background so know how it all works, I've just never tracked readings before so hoped there was a number to show the increase or decrease between readings.

Thanks, all.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2015, 11:42 AM
    In my area of expertise, pregnant women with pressure issues, we don't have the magic formula you are looking for. We simply watch the ebb and flow over a specific time period.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2015, 03:09 PM
    Makes sense. I'm bummed to find that I now have HBP. My Dr was shocked as I have a long history of textbook BP. No diet or lifestyle changes recently except for positive stuff: Quit smoking May 2012 and lost 25 pounds in the last year.

Maybe I should go back to smoking and a meat and potatoes diet :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Profits increase or decrease? [ 0 Answers ]

http://www.mediafire.com/?w0c26awqukaq6lq my question http://www.mediafire.com/?i94p8i0kf9dgppw my answer Did I do this right? Thanks

Increase or decrease or none [ 1 Answers ]

A cash dividend decelared and paid how does it effect working capital, current ratio, debt ratio, net income, stockholders equity.

Does the amount of cash increase or decrease [ 1 Answers ]

Exercise 1-3A Identifying the reporting entities Carlos Bueso recently started a business. During the first few days of operation, Mr. Bueso transferred $30,000 from his personal account into a business account for a company he named Bueso Enterprises. Bueso Enterprises borrowed $40,000 from...

View more questions Search