Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pharmacyboi1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2015, 02:34 AM
    Order and Rx to LTC Pharm
    I am new LTC Pharm.D. & what is difference between order vs RX when called in to LTC Pharm (i.e. me)? For example, if nurse receives order from MD x Assisted Living Pt. -- Percocet 5/325 mg 2 po stat X 1 dose from Pyxis & faxes form containing med ordered w/o MD signature, then is only the order? Consequently, must I call MD for verbal then reduce this to Narcotic Rx form, fax it back to him, then he fax it to us with signature? If so, is that when the transition of order to prescription actually occurs?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 10, 2015, 04:18 AM
    It isn't a script unless signed by the doctor. So yes, phone the doctor to confirm and then fax it back to him, the he confirms, signs and sends back to you. There are no shortcuts.

To him. There are no shortcuts.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2015, 05:19 AM
    If this is within the facility, meaning this is a patient in the facility and your pharmacy is within the facility, a verbal or telephone order from the MD is appropriate without a physical MD signature.

For example: V.O. Percocet 5/325 X 1 PO for one dose. S. Smith RN/J. jones MD.

That should be all that is needed within one facility. This will also be policy specific, so you need to find out what the exact policy is for your facility.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2015, 06:01 AM
    Regarding policy: in all my 35+ jobs, the ones with no written documentation of policy and procedures were the failures.

It boggles my mind that any pharmacy would not have it's process in a notebook (or online these days, to include state and federal laws, well indexed, and changes as laws change). It worries me that a new pharmacist would go online to ask strangers what to do. What if your rules are more stringent? Or less, and this single dose is needed immediately?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lite-on combo ltc-48161h driver [ 1 Answers ]

Dvd drive not working

LITE-ON COMBO LTC 48161H is not working proprely how do I fix it? [ 1 Answers ]

I can't play cds or dvds once its inserted it only spins and nothing happens I ve tried uninstalling then installing same thing happens HELP!

Lite-on combo LTC-48161H not working? [ 1 Answers ]

My DVD/CD-Rom drive does not appear on my computer anymore and I can't run any games/play music etc. I've tried a couple of free downloads to fix the problem, but with no luck. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

View more questions Search