Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    com4tzone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2015, 11:28 AM
    The credit card judgement has been filed against me in civil court, never had my day
    The credit card judgement has been filed against me in civil court, never had my day in court or given a chance to show I am judgement proof (no money, job, assets). My home has a foreclosure judgement as well, auction date a couple months away. I have a short sale contract ready to be closed today and the credit card judgement is a lien on the property. I am unofficially judgement proof, how do I get this property closed? Is it to late to prove to Judge I am destitute and homeless?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 9, 2015, 01:52 PM
    Obviously you are not judgement proof and you better TALK to your lien holder, because it's too late to talk to a judge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2015, 05:51 AM
    There is no such thing as judgement proof, that is just a "saying" it means that even if they sue, they can't get anything.

There is nothing in court to show "judgement proof" you can either show you don't owe the money, or they get the judgement. Judgement proof, is a silly term, that means even if they get a judgement, they can not get any money.

If you have a job, they can get a garnishment on the wages.
    Obviously they put a lien on a house (which is unusual for a credit card company)
    But if if the lien is legal, there is no way to remove it.

So they may keep their judgement, and their lien, you may ask them to remove it, to allow a short sale, if not, the house lender may just foreclose.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2015, 08:27 PM
    never had my day in court
    This is the only part that you may be able to control. If you were never properly served with notice of the suit, then you might be able to get the judgment vacated because of improper service. It's a longshot and only a delaying tactic since, if the debt is valid, they will win a retrial.

As Chuck noted Judgment Proof is not a legal status. It's a term that means you have no income or assets to attach. But, according to you you have assets, your home. On the other hand, your lender has a primary lien on the property. If it's a short sale, it means you are selling for less than the mortgage balance. So the credit card lien shouldn't matter if the lender agrees to the short sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil judgement by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

What exactly is a civil judgement and what can happen with it?

I have had an old credit card debt judgement filed against me. [ 1 Answers ]

I received a business card on my door one day from someone from the sheriffs department. I called the number on the card and was told that I was being served papers from a credit card company or something and being sued. So, he asked if I was home and he could stop back by to serve and I wasn't...

Judgement Filed on Credit Card [ 1 Answers ]

Had a credit card that was charged off by the company three years ago. Never heard from them. Lawyer firm contacted me, harassed me, and then I demanded everything in writing. They sent all documentation. I then came to an agreement of the amount owed. Problem they were not going to tell me how my...

Judgement filed by credit card company [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a summons on Oct 20 regarding a large credit card debt. I was given 30 days to respond to a PO box about this summons. I typed a letter & sent in it November. I received a letter from the collection agency yesterday stating I never responded to this summons. All I have is a...

View more questions Search