Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    george walsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2015, 04:18 PM
    Grants to pay off bills
    Is it possible to get help in buying a car. I cant make payments due to my low income and large medical bills that I cant pay. Retired on ss. Korean vet 81 years old. I need help please.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2015, 04:33 PM
    Where are you located? Are you in the US and covered by Medicare?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 8, 2015, 06:42 PM
    There are many options when it comes to raising funds.

First question, can you afford the insurance, registration, upkeep and gas for a car? Getting a car is just the first step, there are other things necessary and insurance and gas aren't cheap.

Second question, do you have a Facebook account? If so, there are many fundraising pages available on Facebook. Gofundme is one of them. They do take a small percentage of what's donated, but every fund raising page online will do that, and Gofundme is one of the best and cheapest.

Third question. What do you need the car for?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2015, 08:33 PM
    Why so many bills if you are a vet? VA should be covering them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2015, 10:32 PM
    I agree, you need to see about your benefits.

No there are no grants like that. Sometimes your local church or religious group helps people, as do the Veteran groups.

You may first wish to see some of the groups about money management to help you better decide how to pay the bills. There is better chance getting help with medical bills, or getting hospitals or doctors to write off the bills
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2015, 07:59 AM
    Grants are rarely given to individuals unless to better society.
    The VA should be paying all your medical expenses.
    Even if you somehow got a car for free, you won't be able to insure and maintain it, most likely.
    You need to find out in the blue pages who your town/city/county social worker is, and see about moving into senior housing, where buses will take you shopping and doctors, and people can car pool, or you can walk to nearby places.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2015, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Grants are rarely given to individuals unless to better society.
    The VA should be paying all your medical expenses.
    Even if you somehow got a car for free, you won't be able to insure and maintain it, most likely.
    You need to find out in the blue pages who your town/city/county social worker is, and see about moving into senior housing, where buses will take you shopping and doctors, and people can car pool, or you can walk to nearby places.
    I hit "inaccurate" by mistake. This is a solid answer - good direction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for money to pay bills [ 1 Answers ]

I'm so far in debt and I'm a convicted felon and can't get a job. I woukld love to get a grant to help paying my bills off.

Know of any grants to pay existing medical bills? [ 1 Answers ]

I've been sick with a several serious conditions since 2003. On medicare and racked up lots of medical co-pay bills. Does anyone know of government or charitable help in paying these bills. I've seen it written that grants are available but have not seen any specifics.

Grants for a home and bills [ 1 Answers ]

I am newly released from prison and trying to make a life for myself are there any grants that may be able to get a home and help me with my bills

How do I pay her bills? [ 9 Answers ]

My mother-in-law passed away last month and I was a signer on a $23,000 cd. Now, what do I do with the money so that I can pay her bills until the estate is all settled. Right now, it's in my checking account under another account number for tracking purposes, paying zero interest (I wasn't sure if...

View more questions Search