Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnprestikarat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2015, 02:14 PM
    Mr16 and GU10
    Ive had problems with the MRs recepticals, They seem to burn out or the holes appear to get a bigger and the lights go out. Ive wiggled and the lights go off and on. Ive switched them out with new ones, That I had to special order and wire them in. I have 7 on one light switch. Here is my question. Can I switch them out with a GU10 receptical. I was told each MR16 has some sort of transformer and Id have to cut it out. If so, can I run them all on the same light switch? Or as they fail, switch them out. In other word, have some GU 10 and some Mr16 on the same line?

Thank you
    John P
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2015, 02:34 PM
    GU10 have been problematic. I bought the Edison adapters and then you can use regular bulbs, cheaper too.

5X GU10 to E27 LED Light Lamp Bulb Converter Holder Adapter Socket Screw Base | eBay
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 6, 2015, 08:14 AM
    Base on your description; you have low voltage bi-pin (G4-5) 12 v MR 16, but most GU10 are 120 v . Switching the socket won't solve the problem, GU 10 still give off the same amount off heat. Put in the GU adapter may not work because of your light fixture's limited space. Since you already replaced the socket, put in LED . Bi-pin MR26 socket could be cleaned with a needle file to bring it back to life... DON'T cut off the transformer, it may has some type fuse inside for over heat and short out protection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MR16 socket burned out on chandelier, but standard MR16 socket isn't the right size [ 3 Answers ]

I have a discontinued hanging fixture over a table that has 3 halogen bulbs inside of MR16 sockets. I recently had the electrician change all 3 bulbs but one of the bulbs went out 2 days later. He came back, investigated, and said the MR16 socket was burned out and he'd replace it. He tried to...

GU10 fixture issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cheap three lamp fixture from Home Depot. It was working fine for last year and all of a sudden stopped working. I have put a multimeter into both marrets feeding the lamp and there is 120V feeding the fixtures two wires. The two wires feed a pair of black wrapped caps with white...

240V Halogen GU10 Mains on a 120V Circuit ? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently came across some GE 240V halogen bulbs in England, they are a GU10 type base and MR16 size/shape/type(?) bulb. They are not available in North America yet and having been available for some time in the UK and Europe, it doesn't look promising they will be on the market here anytime...

MR16 on circuit old question [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, newbie here :) . I have a question about replacing two incadecent fixutres in a kitchen and replacing them with MR16 low voltage lights. The current lncadecent fixutres (2) have two 100 watt bulbs each in them and I would like to replace them with MR16 12v 50watt low voltage fixtures....

Looking for a certain MR16 bulb [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! We just purchased 3 Hampton Bay pendant lights from Home Depot. The lights are shaped like bullets and have tiny holes for light effects near the edge. The MR16 bulbs provided are great--they have no reflective covering on the outside of the bulb, which allows light to emit from the...

View more questions Search