Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tenxia Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2015, 09:20 PM
    My new cat I just adopted and my older cat are having issues
    My new cat I just adopted and my older cat are having issues, my new cat is always trying to go to the older, not to attack just be near her

I don't understand because the older cat obviously doesn't like her but the newer cat just keeps going up to her, when she's hiding or in general. Right now they are both sitting on the bed, the older one grumbling in the corner while the new ones at the end of the bed. What does this mean?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2015, 09:36 PM
    The new cat has invaded the older cat's territory. That makes the older cat very unhappy. Can you separate them for a week or so?

Dec 4, 2015, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The new cat has invaded the older cat's territory. That makes the older cat very unhappy. Can you separate them for a week or so?
    No I can't, they have to stay in the same room. I'm worried if I should maybe give the other one back or not...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2015, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenxia View Post
    No I can't, they have to stay in the same room. I'm worried if I should maybe give the other one back or not...
    What are their ages? Tell me how you got each. Are they neutered? (I rescue cats and often adopt them myself. Right now I have three.)

Dec 4, 2015, 11:31 PM
    The older one, sushi, I don't know how old she is but she came from the streets and we have had her for awhile, she's my aunt's cat and stays in the same room as me. The new one, Muffin, is 2 years old and I got her from petsmart, she also has to stay in the room with me and the other cat and they can't be in any other rooms.

What are their ages? Tell me how you got each. Are they neutered? (I rescue cats and often adopt them myself. Right now I have three.)
    It didn't post as a reply so I'll repost:
    The older one, sushi, I don't know how old she is but she came from the streets and we have had her for awhile, she's my aunt's cat and stays in the same room as me. The new one, Muffin, is 2 years old and I got her from petsmart, she also has to stay in the room with me and the other cat and they can't be in any other rooms.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 5, 2015, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenxia View Post

It didn't post as a reply so I'll repost:
    We have three unrelated female strays of different ages. What we did in our very small house was put out a couple of empty cardboard boxes as safety zones and "caves" to play in and always made sure to fuss over and spend time with the cat who was there with us first. We also talk to our cats in a normal voice to fill them in on what's going on, for instance, "Dido, you haven't been acting right with throwing up and diarrhea, so we have to take you to the kitty doc-doc to see what's wrong. You'll feel a lot better by tomorrow. We've put a soft fleece pad in the cat carrier, so you'll be comfortable. We love you so much and want you to be healthy." And so on.

So talk constantly to both of them, but spend special time with Sushi. Muffin may try to horn in to get petted too, so just happily greet her and ask Sushi if it's okay. Then pet each while continuing to talk with them.

Another thing, our three girls refuse to eat off each other's plates, but drink out of the same water bowl. Our stray boy cats used feeding time to bond and eat off the same plate, but not these girls. That will have to be something to watch and adjust.

Please report in often and tell us how it's going. Other cat people will probably comment and give you more ideas. Don't give up on them yet.

Dec 6, 2015, 05:50 AM
    We have three unrelated female strays of different ages. What we did in our very small house was put out a couple of empty cardboard boxes as safety zones and "caves" to play in and always made sure to fuss over and spend time with the cat who was there with us first. We also talk to our cats in a normal voice to fill them in on what's going on, for instance, "Dido, you haven't been acting right with throwing up and diarrhea, so we have to take you to the kitty doc-doc to see what's wrong. You'll feel a lot better by tomorrow. We've put a soft fleece pad in the cat carrier, so you'll be comfortable. We love you so much and want you to be healthy." And so on.

So talk constantly to both of them, but spend special time with Sushi. Muffin may try to horn in to get petted too, so just happily greet her and ask Sushi if it's okay. Then pet each while continuing to talk with them.

Another thing, our three girls refuse to eat off each other's plates, but drink out of the same water bowl. Our stray boy cats used feeding time to bond and eat off the same plate, but not these girls. That will have to be something to watch and adjust.

Please report in often and tell us how it's going. Other cat people will probably comment and give you more ideas. Don't give up on them yet.
    Thank you so much! They have separate everything. Food, water, and litter. I also keep Muffin from going into the closet where Sushi's stuff is so Sushi has her "safe zone"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

About a cat that recuses a girl cat from being married to a fat cat [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I was watching this movie on the kids channel a long time ago and it was the movie I think disney but yes anyway, its about this very lovely white cat girl that is being forced to marry this fat rich cat, during this the sister or aunt of the lovely white cat lady gets a check from this...

A cat has adopted me. [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 73 and this wonderful and beautiful male cat was sleeping on my front porch for a few days. One day I called it inside for some milk. I know, I know, they will stay where they are fed right? I asked all the neighbors and they said this wasn't any of there cats but they had seen him in the...

Adopted cat [ 1 Answers ]

OK me and my nana adopted a cat named Beau (Bow) and so my nana went away on vaccation so I am taking care of him, Beau has been ripping up a book he shouldn't of, he has two cat scrathing posts so how do I make him stop? Another problem is he has is his pads on the bottom of his pas there...

Adopted 3 yr old dog frightening my cat! [ 5 Answers ]

I have just adopted a 3 yr old yellow lab from the humane society. He's a beautiful dog, but he is constantly chasing my cat from one end of the house to the other and driving us all crazy. The cat has not eaten since he's been in the house. Any suggestions as to how I get these (2) to get along?

View more questions Search