Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handymom77 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2015, 12:46 PM
    Ge fridge model gsh25jfta ww water/ice issue
    Nine year old GE Fridge has always had trouble with the water dispenser freezing up. But, now it has stopped making ice. About a month ago, it made a massive amount of ice so I turned the ice maker off. It hasn't made any ice since. The ice maker continually makes a sound like it's attempting to turn on the water.

How can I trouble shoot/test to see if the junction area where the water comes down from the water filter is clogged or malfunctioning. If that's not the right thing to test, please let me know.

I made a video showing what I've torn down; how can I upload it?

Thanks for the help.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2015, 07:39 PM
    My thought is that the water inlet tube is frozen and water cannot get into the icemaker. If it were mine, I would take a hair dryer on LOW and aim it at the back of the freezer (behind the ice maker--with the bin removed) and focus on the tube coming from the backside of the freezer. Maybe put a small tray underneath to catch any melted ice. It shouldn't take very long to melt any ice that has plugged the inlet. Don't overdo it--5 minutes would be about the max I'd say.

Best of luck,
    WallyH

P.S. Prior to applying heat, pull the wire up that shuts off the icemaker when the bin is full. The last thing you want is for it to try to make ice just as you've cleared the blockage!

Dec 4, 2015, 09:01 PM
    Thank you. I did use the blow dryer on the back of the freezer. No luck. I may try the dryer inside the freezer where the water is supposed to come in. Is there any other place I can use the blow dryer? I took the back cardboard cover off and can see where the water comes into a splitter and goes to the ice maker and water dispenser on the door (which has no water, either). I can hear the ice maker trying to turn the water on, over and over.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2015, 07:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by handymom77 View Post
    ... and water dispenser on the door (which has no water, either). I can hear the ice maker trying to turn the water on, over and over.
    Ahhhhhh. If you're not getting water then you have a different problem. Either no water from the house (due to a clog or closed cutoff valve) or a bad ice/water valve on the refrigerator.

If this was mine, I would get behind the fridge and close the cutoff valve in the wall or floor. Then disconnect the water line from the refrigerator (expect a little water to come out). Hold the end of the water line in a bucket and turn on the cutoff valve. If you get water, then the problem is most likely in the fridge. If not, then it is either a problem in the water line or the cutoff valve.

It seems unlikely to me that the refrigerator valve would fail on both the ice and water sides at the same time, so I'm leaning towards a problem with your water supply.

Good luck,
    WallyH

Dec 5, 2015, 08:42 PM
    Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I will try that next! I did disconnect the valve at the bottom of the front of the fridge that leads up to the door dispenser. There was a small amount of water but it wasn't running. I'll check the house supply and report back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ge refrigerator Gsh25jfta water/ice dispenser not working [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Gsh25jftabb refrigerator which is not dispensing water or ice. The light and selector buttons on the dispenser work fine, but water and ice don't dispense. When pressing the lever nothing happens. No clicking or anything. The ice maker works fine. The refrigerator just won't dispense water...

My water is filtered and tastes fine but my ice and water from the fridge taste bad [ 0 Answers ]

My cold water and fridge is on a dual filter system under the sink, however, the faucet water is fine but the ice and water from the fridge are very chemical tasting and unable to consume. Something between the sink connection and the refridge is wrong. Any ideas?

Smelly fridge ice and water [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a fridge installed with a water and ice maker. My husband got someone to tap the water line however the ice and water both smell and taste bad, like stagnate water. I noticed the same smelling water from my sprinkler when I had to change one of the heads because it was leaking. ...

KitchenAid Fridge - No water or ice [ 1 Answers ]

I have a side by side KitchenAid refrigerator with ice and water in the door. Recently, the water dispenser pressure started to decrease noticeably, but the fridge still made some ice. When I put in a new filter, there was a great gush of good pressure water dispensed for about 10 seconds, and...

View more questions Search